1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony VPL HS20 projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brett_Y, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Brett_Y

Brett_Y Auditioning

I'm building a HT and have been shopping for a projector. Went to a local Electonics (projector) retailer and he had some DLP machines and the Sony VPL HS20. I was really impressed with the Sony's picture. Anybody have any comments on this projector, particularly its limitations?

Brett

[​IMG] or [​IMG]

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Depending upon your budget, you might want to consider the Sanyo Z2, or the Panny AE500. They are both 720P projectors, very close in specs to the Sony. However, they should be substantially cheaper.

I have the sanyo z1, and have been very pleased with both the quality of the construction, and the picture the projector throws.

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Are you sure those are true 1280 x 720p projectors, or do they just accept that signal and downrez the image to 1/4 rez.?

From what I've read only the Sony HS20 (who would go with the HS10 anyway?) is the cheapest true HDTV capable front projector so far.

Dan

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The Sanyo Z2 is 1280x720 and the HS20 is 1366x768. Both will display 720p with its full resolution but neither will display 1080i at its full resolution, few will.

One thing I can say is the predecessor, Sony HS10, was a lot of projector for the money. The HS20 only improves on it so you can't really go wrong.

As for the Z2, you can't go wrong on it either. Even projector central agrees that it has the PQ of the more expensive Sharp 9000 "at 1/5 the price".