What's new

Sony VPL HS10... (1 Viewer)

SandellV

Auditioning
Hello all. I'm a newbie to this forum. I just finished my home theater project over the weekend. To make it short, I have a very modest system (vpl-hs10, dalite 92", denon equipment, and klipsch speaker system). Anyway, I have a question on the settings of the hs10. What mode(s) and settings should I have it on to get the best picture from my dvd player. Currently I have it on Full mode, cinema black on, cinema filter lens on, color and contrast settings are on factory default. And how do I get rid of the black bars on some dvds. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

2.35:1 aspect ratio films have black bars because they are supposed to. As long as the film's aspect ratio is not 1.78:1 like your projected image, then you will have bars of some sort.

Please read the FAQ section on film aspect ratios.

Regards

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
There are a host of calibration settings that other hs10 owners have figured out and share to help get their machines adjusted for the best pic. Lots of posting over at AVS about it...and I seem to remember seeing a forum that was *dedicated* to the hs10 somewhere but can't remember where.

In any case...get one of those calibration DVDs like video essentials...it's a start. BTW, write down all factory presets so you can go back to them if you need to.

if you're PJ has settings for different "temperatures" the 6500 Kelvin is usually the best (temperature in this case really refers to color...like a redish picture vs a bluish picture).

Also, it's better to sacrifice a little brightness to get better blacks. Naturally let your eyes be the judge but if your machine has a high/low brightness setting generally the low-brightess works better for maximizing black-level.

-BTW, how are you connecting it? PLEASE don't say with an s-video cable :D

and yes...any DVD that has an image not exactly 1.78:1 in shape will show some sort of letterboxing one way or another. There is no one perfect "shape" for a TV or projection screen...movies come in different shapes. 16x9 is a good middle of the road...1.33:1 and 2.35:1 stuff both fit pretty good without too much going to waste.

-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks