What's new

Sony VPL-HS10 projector... (1 Viewer)

Paul Chiappini

Stunt Coordinator
My HS10 arrived last week and all I can say is WOW! I'm projecting it onto a 90 in. diagonal screen and the colors and size are great. As far as black level, when the image is predominantly bright, blacks look black. When it is predominantly dark, the blacks look dark gray. I plan on doing the Smart TV calibration, but won't get around to it until after the holidays.

I'm a video producer and rather than order from a regular retailer, I called a Sony broadcast dealer for my area and got an excellent price ($2,460). You don't have to be in the biz to get that rate -- anyone can call. I'm not sure of the policy here regarding the posting of dealer info., so if you want to know the details just email me.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Paul:

congrats on your new projector. I've had mine for a few weeks now and I'm still fascinated by the picture quality.

Michael.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Actually, you can even go to cdw.com and get it for $2309.45 plus shipping. If your company has an account with CDW (many, many companies do), often you can get a pretty good discount off of this price too.

Paul Chiappini

Stunt Coordinator
I just got done watching "The Patriot" tonight on the HS10. The lighting of the film really lends itself to LCD projectors. "The Patriot" looked spectacular.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Paul:

How does this projector look with a standard cable/OTA feed into it? I have liked what I have seen with many LCD and DLP units when fed with a HDTV or DVD picture but was disappointed when watching standard television.

Parker

Paul Chiappini

Stunt Coordinator
Parker,

Sorry I can't be of help -- I only have it hooked to a progressive scan DVD player at the moment. I did watch a DVD of 17 year old home video that I created. It originated on VHS and some of it had been dubs of dubs. I wasn't expecting much, but it looked pretty good. I also had some slide shows on the DVD. They looked exceptional.

I started looking to get an RPTV, but when I found out FPTVs had come down in cost and quality had greatly improved, I figured it was a no brainer.

Paul

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Parker:

I actually prefer to watch DTV on this projector than my Sony KP53HS10. I'm using a new Tivo2 and the picture is suprisingly very good. I'm not sure if it's because I have the Tivo2 connected to my 3803 receiver which upconverts the s-video to component.

Michael

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Congratulations Paul. What distance did you mount the projector to achieve the 90" throw? I know that this unit has a fairly long throw. I just saw one firsthand just last week.

Paul Chiappini

Stunt Coordinator
Neil,

I have the projector mounted 145 inches from the screen with the zoom set somewhere in the middle of its range.

The projector is even with our sitting position. I was kind of worried we'd be sitting too close, but once we got used to watching such a large screen it hasn't been a problem. I'm talking about getting used to having an image fill most of your field of vision, not picture quality. The picture quality is great. Some people have even sat closer and still think it's great.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Neil wrote:
I know that this unit has a fairly long throw. I just saw one firsthand just last week.
What did you think of it Neil? This is on my short list, along with the Panasonic ae300 and perhaps even the Sanyo PLV-70 (I know that's in a different price range, but if it's THAT much better......).

Gordon
Following this thread with intrest.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It looked pretty swet to me, ahead of the AE300 but the PLV-70 has the advantage of higher brightness and c.r., condusive to a room that may have ambient light in it.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Recently, I had checked the Sony HS10 price here in Canada. Ouch, it's list price is CDN$6000 or about US$3800. Way over my budget.

I will probably have to consider the Infocus X1 or Sanyo Z1 instead.

Dave

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Thanks for your comments, Neil! I was very interested in your comments about the HS10 vs AE300. There seems to be a widely divergent opinion among those who have seen both.
As I peruse video displays I find myself gravitating strongly toward those with high brightness/contrast. Seems to give the picture depth and is more immersive to me. Could just be fooling myself too :) My eye is not trained well enough yet to be a good judge of PQ.
Anyone in the Lancaster, PA area have a Sony HS10 setup that I could see??? I really don't want to talk myself into a projector like the PLV-70 that costs 2X the Sony.
Gordon

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If I had to pick I would choose the PLV-70 over the HS10 but not at twice the price, and I would pick the HS10 over the AE300 simply because of its much higher resolution because I have HDef in mind as well. For the money, the HS10 is hard to beat.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I just got this projector about a week ago. The picture looks great, and I selected my absolute hardest two challenges for and LCD in my whole DVD collection. Pitch Black and Se7en. I was completely happy with both results. And not just new toy happy, I really think the black levels are acceptable. I was also impressed with the overall picture considering the PJ is not ceiling mounted yet so I am maxing out the sideshot on top of using the regular keystone correction. I cant wait to get this thing setup right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks