Sony VPH-1030Q1 for $100 ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bob Kavanaugh, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

A guy here at work is selling his Sony VPH-1030Q1 crt projector for 100 bucks! I don't know what i'm getting into, what with the crazy inputs and all, but the guy seems nice enough and the deal is almost too much to refuse.

Thoughts?

2. John S

John S Producer

Dang, I'd have to buy it as well.....

Nice score!!!

3. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Does the 1030Q do anything higher than video (15.75kHz)? I know the 1031Q does, but not sure about the 1030Q.

It's probably still worth $100, but realize that all you may be able to do with it is 480i (although you can probably still squeeze it to a 16:9 ratio for anamorphic DVDs.

Matt

4. Bob Kavanaugh

The manual says it'll do 32kHz. There is talk over at AVS forum about the serial number. If it is 501xxxx or higher you can feed it line doubled material, and if it's 500xxxx you'll snoke it. Either way I think i'll get it and feed it 480i with a manual anamorphic squeeze. Should look nice.

Now, how do i connect a dvd player to it through the RGB input? It seems like there should be a cheap player out there that would have rgb out, but if not, how easy is it to convert s-video or component to rgb?

5. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Bob, I think there are some players out there that do offer a VGA output (RGB). I'm feeding my CRT projector with an HTPC, VGA out to RGBHV in.

If you want to convert component to RGB you need a transcoder (which I don't know much about). If it will do line doubling, I think there are relatively inexpensive doublers that take component in and output RGBHV.

Matt

6. Bob Kavanaugh

This keeps getting better, I just talked him down to $75 !!! I sure hope this works...

7. Bob Kavanaugh

My goodness, even better yet.. it's a 1031, but the serial is 500xxxx. Not sure if this matters for the 1031's vs the 1030's.

After a few minutes I had the convergence set close enough to fire it up with the composite input. I guess it looked alright, but there was this "honeycomb effect" rising continually like bubbles. I really can't explain it better than that. Maybe it will go away when I hook it up via rgb.

Anyone else have "bubbles" with composite in on their crt?