Sony VLP-VW11HT vs. Sanyo PLV-70

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis_R, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

I thought I had decided on the Sanyo....but I am still Torn as to which one to get.....My theater will be a completely dedicated room with no windows so basically it will get no unwanted light....my screen will be 150" diagonally...which one would be best suited for this theater....in searching online I have found the sanyo to be about 2-3000 cheaper than the sony so that is a big plus but would I notice the 3000 dollar differnence in the picture?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Although I have the 11HT, which I got for a steal, the PLV-70 is the one for you to get. It has a brighter image and a higher contrast ratio, DVI, power zoom and focus. Go for it.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The PLV-70 also has MVA and a much higher fill ratio than the 11HT, more in line with the 12HT.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Gabriel, would that by chance be MLA (micro lens array)? This is a feature that allows more light to pass through each pixel resulting in brighter images and less screendoor effect. Out of curiousity, how much can you get the PLV-70 for Travis?

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Bah, brain fart there. Yes, MLA. Sorry about that. I spend too much of my day thinking about LCD panel technology instead of projector. MVA is Fujitsu's proprietary TFT technology for increased viewing angles and faster response times.

Though we're talking about pretty high resolution projectors at 1366x768 (the higher the resolution, the more difficult it is for our eyes to discern fill ratio), the MLA will still help.

Unfortunately, I don't have any great connections with Sanyo suppliers. I wish I did, because they have some great stuff. I'm surprised Travis found the PLV-70 to be 2-3k less than the Sony. Most places sell the PLV-70 for about $5200-5300, which seems a few hundred more than the $4800-4900 or so of the 11HT (new. Refurbished, the 11HT is less than $4k).

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yes Travis, please do tell. [​IMG]

7. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

well in my reading I found the sony to be about 8000 on average....and then I found this place with a sanyo
    on sale for about $5281.00 see for yourselves.....originally I was planning on buying a projector from ultimate electronics....thank god for the internet Sanyo PLV70 on sale
    Maybe my figures are way off or this website is a cheat because they say that the PLV-70 list price is about 10,000 either way I am definitally going with the Sanyo...thanks for the advice everyone happy holidays

8. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

I'm just about clueluess when it comes to projectors, so please forgive the ignorance.
    My question is, will this Sanyo unit be able to diplay an HD feed at it's proper resolution?

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The Sanyo unit (and the Sony as well) are both 1366x768 so they will have to downconvert to display 1080i. There are very very few display devices that can display this resolution without downconverting and they are expensive.