1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony VCR rewind prob.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradK, Mar 24, 2002.

1. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony VCR, model SLV-N71 that we use for our 2 year olds videos. The rewind function on it is SO slow for 90% of her tapes, but then you will get the odd one that screams through rewind like a bat outta hell ! Like I mean it takes a good 5 minutes for most tapes to rewind and then you get one that takes 30 seconds !! What gives? Gone through manual and it says nothing, and I know its not because we hit different rewind speed because I played with rewind switch to see if you held it down or something it would go faster.I don't really give a *#@! anyway cuz we only use it for the ankle biter, but it kinda has me wondering. Just curious if someone else has similar problem.

P.S.- less than a year old, and been like this since we bought it.

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Not sure about that particular model, but some Sonys have a hub sensor that senses the rotation speed of the non-drive hub. By knowing how fast the hub rotates, it can be inferred how much tape is on the hub - and the approximate length of the tape on that hub.

Now, some Sonys have two rewind speeds. If the VCR can confidently determine that there is a significant amount of tape to wind, it will go into high-speed, and slow down toward the end. If it cannot determine the tape length, it will wind at a slower speed, so as not to break the tape off the hub when it reaches the end.

The whole process is optimized for a T-120 tape. If you use a short or longer tape, the VCR may not be able to determine the tape length and will wind at slower speeds. Most pre-recorded video is not 120 minutes, long, especially children's videos which tend to be much shorter.

Some Sony's have a menu option where you can select a default tape length. If, for instance, most of your videos are T-180s, you can select that and it will assume a 180 tape for the rewind procedure.

-Scott