Sony VCR rewind prob.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradK, Mar 24, 2002.

1. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony VCR, model SLV-N71 that we use for our 2 year olds videos. The rewind function on it is SO slow for 90% of her tapes, but then you will get the odd one that screams through rewind like a bat outta hell ! Like I mean it takes a good 5 minutes for most tapes to rewind and then you get one that takes 30 seconds !! What gives? Gone through manual and it says nothing, and I know its not because we hit different rewind speed because I played with rewind switch to see if you held it down or something it would go faster.I don't really give a *#@! anyway cuz we only use it for the ankle biter, but it kinda has me wondering. Just curious if someone else has similar problem.

P.S.- less than a year old, and been like this since we bought it.

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Not sure about that particular model, but some Sonys have a hub sensor that senses the rotation speed of the non-drive hub. By knowing how fast the hub rotates, it can be inferred how much tape is on the hub - and the approximate length of the tape on that hub.

Now, some Sonys have two rewind speeds. If the VCR can confidently determine that there is a significant amount of tape to wind, it will go into high-speed, and slow down toward the end. If it cannot determine the tape length, it will wind at a slower speed, so as not to break the tape off the hub when it reaches the end.

The whole process is optimized for a T-120 tape. If you use a short or longer tape, the VCR may not be able to determine the tape length and will wind at slower speeds. Most pre-recorded video is not 120 minutes, long, especially children's videos which tend to be much shorter.

Some Sony's have a menu option where you can select a default tape length. If, for instance, most of your videos are T-180s, you can select that and it will assume a 180 tape for the rewind procedure.

-Scott