Sony VAIO 680 DeskTop DVD-RW MPEG2 Quandry

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reed Grele, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    This PC specs here comes equiped with a MPEG2 encoder. Does anyone here know how to capture and save the video input in MPEG2 format? I can only get it to save as an .avi file. I'd like to be able to burn a high quality DVD in true MPEG2 format using as the source a Sony mini DV camcorder with a firewire connection.
    Tried every software capture program installed on it from Adobe to DVGate.
    Maybe one of my fellow HTF PC gurus knows the solution to this one (if one exists.)
    If not, maybe the Sony tech support people will know.
    Reed Grele

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I don't see an MPEG-2 encoder anywhere in those specs.
    You can't save DV direct off of firewire direct to MPEG-2 without cards that cost upwards of $2000. When they say "Make your own DVDs" they mean they include the software and hardware for burning, authoring, but compression is totally up to you
    Do a search on Yahoo for and download bbMPEG. That will plug into Premiere and provide MPEG-2 output. Quality is a B-, but it's free so who's complaining [​IMG] A good MPEG-2 pro level encoder will run at least $2-300

3. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Thanks for the tip about the Adobe plug-in. I'll check it out.
    As for the MPEG2 encoder, if you look at the above link again under "Additional Specifications", "Video & Graphics" it says: "MPEG2 Realtime Encoder/Decoder board with TV tuner." This board is used in conjunction with the "Giga Pocket Personal Video Recorder" which supposedly saves the video signal in MPEG2 format when used with the highest quality recording mode.
    Being a novice at burning DVD's, I assumed that one could pass any outside video source (of any quality) through the firewire connection, to any of the capture programs included with the system, and save it as a MPEG2 file. Looks like I might have "ass-u-me"-d wrong. [​IMG]
    Reed