Sony V444ES connection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darian LeBlanc, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Darian LeBlanc

Darian LeBlanc Auditioning

This weekend I bought a set of component cables for my Playstation 2 with the intent of connecting it through my Sony V444es receiver. I already have a DVD connected through one set of component connectors and using a coax digital audio connection. I also have a DBS receiver connected using the TV/SAT s-video connection and an optical digital audio conneciton.
    How can I connect the PS2 using the remaining component connectors with an optical connection for the audio?
    I'm hoping one of the knowledgeable owners of this receiver can help me out. Thanks.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Why not move the SAT to Video 1 or Video 2 and use the TV/SAT Component inputs and optical digital input. If the SAT analog connector is not sufficient for what you need, you good connect the video directly to the TV and use the audio on the MD optical input.

3. Darian LeBlanc

If I move the satellite to Video 1 or 2, I will lose the ability to make a digital audio connection. Is this correct?
    I will probably follow your second suggestion as a last resort, but my preference is to run everything through my receiver. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    From the back panel (you can view it atwww.crutchfield.com) it would appear that video 1 or 2 is analog only. You could also probably get an external switcher for digital/video sources as well for a reasonable cost if that is the way you want to go. I use the receiver in my bedroom system and have don't use any of the switching since I have plenty of TV inputs and only one video source. I use it with a 9000ES DVD/SACD and it is hooked to that system and a system in another room and the 9000ES has one optical and one coaxial out and I converted the optical to coaxial before sending it to the 2nd room.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Darian,
    See page 25 in your owner's manual, look for the explanation of the "audio split" button. It will allow you to assign any digital input to any video source.
    First rotate the function knob, below the volume knob, to the video input you want to assign the digital audio input to, then press the audio split button, above and to the left of the function knob. Now rotate the function knob to select the digital audio input you've plugged your digital optical cable from the playstation 2 into, then press the audio split button again within 4 seconds.
    I was able to assign the digital input labelled "CD" on the back of my 333 (same owner's manual for both models) to Video 2 for my PS-2.
    You can use any of the optical inputs, just remember what it's labelled on the back of the receiver so you know what to select in the second step of the procedure.
    You may also have to enable the optical output and component video output in your PS-2's system configuration menu. I did have one rental game that for some reason would not produce and sound from the digital output. Didn't try analog, so don't know if it worked on them.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.
    [Edited last by Steve Schaffer on July 16, 2001 at 09:26 PM]

6. Darian LeBlanc

Thanks a million for the suggestion, Steve. I'll try this when I get home.