What's new

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I should have the X700 in tomorrow. Wanted to try its streaming and UHD playback out, since I loved the X800. Now that they are adding DV, not bad for a $249 MSRP. Looks like they have gone back to their 2014 and 2015 small box styling, as opposed to the current lead weight larger UHPH1 and X800.

According to @Robert_Zohn the DV update on the X700 may be sooner than Summer, which is what was reported originally.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I should have the X700 in tomorrow. Wanted to try its streaming and UHD playback out, since I loved the X800. Now that they are adding DV, not bad for a $249 MSRP. Looks like they have gone back to their 2014 and 2015 small box styling, as opposed to the current lead weight larger UHPH1 and X800.

According to @Robert_Zohn the DV update on the X700 may be sooner than Summer, which is what was reported originally.

I will be interested to read your impressions, Jason. Specifically, whether you experience any freeze-ups with UIHD discs on this player -- my X-800 did this for the 3rd time a few days ago. Also, how the upconversion of BDs and DVDs compares with the X-800. I'm not really interested in the streaming capabilities, as I use other devices for that functionality.

Personally, I would not drop any money on this player until Sony actually delivers a Dolby Vision firmware that works with current, non-Sony displays. However, I am glad there is at least one guinea pig out there we can learn from. ;)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Personally, I would not drop any money on this player until Sony actually delivers a Dolby Vision firmware that works with current displays. However, I am glad there is at least one guinea pig out there we can learn from. ;)
His screen name says it all.:)

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
One thing I just found in the manual, that I am not happy about it is, they only have a 2ghz radio. Not sure why they would not include a 5ghz.

I'll get it setup tomorrow and run some test discs thru it.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I will be interested to read your impressions, Jason. Specifically, whether you experience any freeze-ups with UIHD discs on this player -- my X-800 did this for the 3rd time a few days ago. Also, how the upconversion of BDs and DVDs compares with the X-800. I'm not really interested in the streaming capabilities, as I use other devices for that functionality.

Personally, I would not drop any money on this player until Sony actually delivers a Dolby Vision firmware that works with current, non-Sony displays. However, I am glad there is at least one guinea pig out there we can learn from. ;)

I did some looking at timelines.

First DV Mediatek chip was June-Jul 2016. Knowing the way Panny used to operate as explained by an employee in the know, no way that chip was in the 2017 X800 design or with the X1 Extreme on the displays which came out on the ZD9 late 2016 and 2017. Oppo held out and waited on it for the 203, and then rushed (too early) to market.

Now you have Sony tv's that launched in 2017 that cannot handle DV internally, they need the source device to do it. The X700 was seen at CES sending DV to 2017 displays... Tells me the X700 prob has the first MT DV chip in it that did not make it into the X800. I mean it has to be able to process it for the 2017 Sony displays, especially if it was working at CES.

Now, moving forward, MT released another version in Jul 2017, for HLG, HDR10, and DV, compatible with Android. So, looking at the lack of fanfare from Sony at CES with regards to displays, I wonder if the next line won't be geared around the Mid 2017 MT chip and behave a little more as expected. Might see new displays and a new UHD player announced later in the year at the Sept event.

Of course, I could be 100% wrong too...

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Don't know if I posted in this thread earlier but now I am looking at the Sony UBP-X700 as my firsk 4K Blu-ray player (still considering Oppo 203 despite shutdown announcement).

Either would be paired with a new Vizio 75" M-Series (or maybe a 2017 model P-Series since the price on those have dropped considerably). Both models are supposed to support HDR-10 and DV.

Might just buy a second player for my Vizio 50" UHD set (bedroom TV) which didn't come with either HDR-10 or DV.

Advice welcome.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This Sony player has now received its Dolby Vision update for those who are interested in it. The DV works with all TV models which are Dolby Vision capable.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

Make that two guinea pigs . My UBP-X700 went into action on Aug 3rd.
More info to come.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Make that two guinea pigs . My UBP-X700 went into action on Aug 3rd.
More info to come.
Good luck with your new Sony, Brad. I hope it works out well for you.

I plan on passing on the X-700, though. Instead, I am looking at the Panasonic UB820 as potentially my next player. However, it won't be until after a firmware update providing Dolby Vision support is released.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well here's how it went with my first ever 4K presentation on the new setup with the 4K edition of Grease (1978). Note I did have the region-free mods done by 220 Electronics where I bought the player. So for blu-rays & DVDs, I now have two region-free players.

Maybe it was due to my inexperience with 4K players but the first thing I got was the intro "blue screen" detailing in about 100 languages how I should be using a 4K capable system (which I was). Funny thing was this screen was lasting forever and I was thinking something was stuck. A disc eject & re-insert seemed to solve the problem and the disc started up. Of all my subsequent 4K presentations, this long blue screen only happened on this disc. Other discs displayed the same basic message but only in English and didn't last long at all.

As I mentioned on the Grease 4K thread, PQ seemed a bit soft with some scenes but mostly razor sharp. Still enough to notice and wonder if I should seek a replacement disc.

Subsequent presentations with other movies so far (Mamma Mia (2008), Thor-Ragnarok (2017)) were 4K laser sharp and I was very happy with the new setup....that is until I found the light leak on the left hand side of the new Vizio P75 (replacement from Costco is on its way). More details later in the Vizio P75 thread.

My first blu-ray presentation with the Sony UBP-X700 was Cinderella Liberty (1973) from Twilight Time. I wanted to see how well the X700 upscaled. I got a laser-sharp Blu-ray presentation but I'll still have to run a comparison with my Sony BDP-7200 blu-ray player for this film. I did so enjoy the movie though and will be writing my own review to post, preferably wait until RAH posts his AFWA and dove-tail onto that.

I'll say so far, so good and sometime in the not-too-distant future, another region-free X700 for the bedroom TV (Vizio M50, 4K w/o HDR or DV).

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Maybe it was due to my inexperience with 4K players but the first thing I got was the intro "blue screen" detailing in about 100 languages how I should be using a 4K capable system (which I was). Funny thing was this screen was lasting forever and I was thinking something was stuck. A disc eject & re-insert seemed to solve the problem and the disc started up. Of all my subsequent 4K presentations, this long blue screen only happened on this disc. Other discs displayed the same basic message but only in English and didn't last long at all.
You should not be getting that message if your equipment is HDR capable.

What is your X700 connected to? It should be connected directly to the TV on a HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI input, bypassing the receiver. This cuts down on the possibility of handshake issues that could be caused by the receiver, even if it says it's 4K and HDR capable. If it is running through the receiver, is there any video processing turned on inside the receiver? If so, that should be turned off.

Is HDR Output in the Screen Settings menu on the X700 set to Auto or Off? I know the Vizio P-series supports HLG, HDR10, and Dolby Vision), so it should be set to Auto.

How is the input configured on the TV and and output on the receiver? There should be something along the lines of "Enhanced 4K HDMI signal format" turned on. If that is turned off or set to "Standard," then that is also a reason you could be getting that message.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
You should not be getting that message if your equipment is HDR capable.

What is your X700 connected to? It should be connected directly to the TV on a HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI input, bypassing the receiver. This cuts down on the possibility of handshake issues that could be caused by the receiver, even if it says it's 4K and HDR capable. If it is running through the receiver, is there any video processing turned on inside the receiver? If so, that should be turned off.

Is HDR Output in the Screen Settings menu on the X700 set to Auto or Off? I know the Vizio P-series supports HLG, HDR10, and Dolby Vision), so it should be set to Auto.

How is the input configured on the TV and and output on the receiver? There should be something along the lines of "Enhanced 4K HDMI signal format" turned on. If that is turned off or set to "Standard," then that is also a reason you could be getting that message.

I'll definitely take a look at what you've suggested here but I can tell you what my initial setup is.

The X700 is connected thru my AVR (Denon 2000x) on which I can set specific inputs for signal pass-through which is what I've set up for the X700. Signal seems to be good, the Denon doesn't do any video processing with the input set to pass-through but audio processing is still done.
I did try a direct connection to the TV but that seemed to make no difference. Haven't had a chance yet to check the other settings but once I get home, I'll definitely take a look.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Your Denon 2000 receiver is an older model. According to Denon's website, it is capable of 4K video pass thru, but there is no mention of Dolby Vision support. If it cannot support DV pass thru, you will need to use both HDMI outputs from the Sony player - - HDMI 1 directly to your display, and HDMI 2 to the Denon for audio only. Also, make sure you are using certified high speed 18Gbps HDMI cables - - the certification is important. Monoprice makes very inexpensive certified cables, available both directly through their website and via Amazon.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have a Dennon 4000 (same year) and can confirm it does not pass anything UHD related thru (DV or HDR10). The HDMI are 1.4 and do not support HDCP 2.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Your Denon 2000 receiver is an older model. According to Denon's website, it is capable of 4K video pass thru, but there is no mention of Dolby Vision support. If it cannot support DV pass thru, you will need to use both HDMI outputs from the Sony player - - HDMI 1 directly to your display, and HDMI 2 to the Denon for audio only. Also, make sure you are using certified high speed 18Gbps HDMI cables - - the certification is important. Monoprice makes very inexpensive certified cables, available both directly through their website and via Amazon.
Well Scott, a BIG Thanks to you and David Willow as y'all pretty much confirmed what I suspected, that my older Denon won't fully pass the signal, specifically any HDR10 or DV information to the TV. Which means that sometime in the near-nottoodistant- future, I'll be upgrading my AVR unit. I've had my eye on two Denon models, the Denon AVR-X3400H and the AVR-X4400H depending on what I'm "allowed" to spend. I'd be quite happy with the X3400H and save about $400 according to Amazon prices. I may however check out someone like 220 Electronics or Bombay Electronics if they offer a decent Military Veterans discount like 220 did with my new UHD Blu player.

I did notice that my Sony X700 had two UHD HDMI outputs on it and now you've explained how I could wire up my Viz P75 so I can get the full benefits of HDR10/DV processing and keep my 7.1 sound system until I upgrade the AVR. Didn't have that hookup earlier so it will be interesting to see how my UHD Blu of
Grease (1978) comes out (I was a tad disappointed with some of them PQ "soft spots") . I'll get that done after our family reunion this coming weekend.
Oh and I just purchased a new Monoprice cable off Amazon. My current cables (new UHD cert cables) would work but nice to have a certified Monoprice carrying the signal load to the TV.

One little oddity here on my Home Theater system which will be interesting with the new setup. Some background info first, my HT is set up for two distinct configurations. One is the Simple Setup for my wife and her mom when she comes over. I use this for all cable TV stuff and on this I simply have the cable box hooked directly to the TV. This setup does not incorporate the AVR but I still retain my Vizio Sound Bar setup which only works with the simple setup.
The other of course is my AVR-Centric setup which I use for UHD Blu player, Blu-ray players, DVD player, online streaming and (for laughs) the ol VHS player. My lovely wife doesn't want to muck around with the AVR when she's watching HGTV, Fox News or whatever.

What makes this kinda funny is now with the new setup on the UHD Blu player, I'd be able to use both the AVR sound system and the Vizio Sound Bar. Haven't tried it yet but I'm betting when I do, it will have some sound sync issues (creating that weird echo I so remember from my boyhood days at the old theaters). I can always power down the sound bar so no worries there.

I'll keep you posted.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
If it cannot support DV pass thru, you will need to use both HDMI outputs from the Sony player - - HDMI 1 directly to your display, and HDMI 2 to the Denon for audio only. Also, make sure you are using certified high speed 18Gbps HDMI cables - - the certification is important. Monoprice makes very inexpensive certified cables, available both directly through their website and via Amazon.
UPDATE: Started out by adding a new Monoprice certified cable to the Sony X700. Used that cable for a direct link to the Vizio P75 and did a separate cable (new as well) from the X700 to the AVR. Nice that the X700 HDMI outputs are set up exactly for this.

What a difference!!

Especially with a new replacement 4K disc of
Grease (1978).

This setup should do nicely until I upgrade my AVR. Shucks even with my earlier Blu-ray players, this TV is Rockin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks