Sony Unveils new 16x9 1920 x 1080 chip with 3000:1 CR!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaViD Boulet, Feb 19, 2003.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Check it out at AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=228531

Either way you slice it or dice it, 1920 x 1080 is soon to become a reality. All digital displays will be inherently progressive-scan...making it all the more important that our HD-DVD software take full advantage of 1920 x 1080P!!!

dave [​IMG]

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    WOW!!

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Very cool. I hope it comes to be.

4. Michael St. Clair

This is exactly the kind of thing that I've been waiting for...I won't be upgrading my CRT-based HD RPTV until I can get a device that performs at this level. I want DLP/DILA resolution with CRT black levels. I know 9" CRT is an option, but it's one that I don't feel like messing with right now (and it is expensive).

I can't wait to see what comes down the pike over the next 3-5 years, and what price levels it hits.

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Sony has the market to really use this extensively and drive down the cost of manufacture...basically they can (and probalby will) ultimately use it in every rear and front projection HD unit. Hopefully, as time goes buy, they'll be able to drive black-level down to the point where picture depth really will be competitive with CRT. AT 3000:1 it would already be very well matched...but not sure how that figure might change when you're using 3 chips in a single display device (the figure is only for one chip) which would raise overall black level to some degree.

No CRT system except the very *reference* out there can match DLP or LCOS for detail and clarity (even though CRT displays do other things very right that digital displays don't necessarily do). If Sony can diliver a creamy-smooth pixel-free picture with this chip...which looks likely...and get color fidility and black-levels that are really first-rate, you're looking at the future folks.

-dave

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

A poster on the AVS Forum said:

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hmmm thats a very interesting Quote there Jan, I never considered the adjacent pixel influences...... but then it depends on how exactly the software works, from that quote ti implies that the software would be trying to reproduce the picture as a whole, but if instead it tries to produce the picture one pixel at a time then there may not be any adjacent pixel influences.

somethign interesting to ponder in any case.

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Not to mention that light-scatter from adjacent pixels can affect the CR even when the pixels themselves are resonding accurately. I think that's the large issue...to reduce light scatter per each pixel so that you can literally have one pixel full "on" next to one that's "off" and measure full light-output dynamic range between the two without the "on" pixel casting light into the off-pixel's space.

9. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

But the real issue is, what'll happen to the flux capacitor Heisenberg compensator when the pixels aren't adjacent? Huh, huh?!?

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    LMAO! [​IMG]