What's new

Sony Universal Remote (1 Viewer)

thespider

Auditioning
Real Name
Rusty Myers
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, and new to Home Theater Setup in general. I have always been into audio and video, but I am learning about a whole new set of standards. I am looking into Universal Remotes for my home theater. I used to have all sony products (TV, AV, DVD), but now I introduced a new brand. A LCD from Insignia for a new TV. My old sony, half the video stopped showing, was a little too much to fix for it's age.

So my question...What universal remote should I purchase?

I have just stumbled upon Learning remotes, and they are genius! I was looking at two from sony:
RM-AX4000
RM-AV2500

Will either of these work with my system?

I choose sony because of brand loyalty, but as I told you, my tv is Insignia, so you can tell my brand loyalty is starting to dwindle. I am considering all brands for a new universal remote and I just want one (and I mean 1) remote to control all functions on all devices.

A little background, I have a Sony STR-DE698 receiver, Insignia NS-27LCD, Sony DVD (forget the model), Tivo Series 2, and a iPod dock from Apple.

I have set up my TV and receiver to route all cables through the STR, except a laptop using vga. Here is a picture (High Res) that shows my connections to the receiver and components.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2065254&size=l

Please help me choose a new universal remote. Thanks in advance!

Rusty

Peanut Butter Jelly with a Baseball bat!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Rusty. Welcome to HTF!

My current favorite brand is Harmony-Logitech. They do a great-job of giving you "action" buttons to set your system to Cable, DVD, Music, HD-PVR, etc with 1 button push. And they even have PVR buttons which most remotes ignore or let you map to other buttons that nobody but you could remember.

I have the 688, but some newer models have come out. Go give them a look or watch the ads because they do tend to go on sale about now.

Hope this helps.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Also, check out remotecentral.com (sorry for the outside referral). They would have all the info on all the remotes known to man.

thespider

Auditioning
Real Name
Rusty Myers
Thanks for the advice all, I used the Other sites remote picker and found a few that were very cheap and a few that were very expensive. Now I just have to figure out how much I want to budget.

Here is an updated link to my system, because the old one won't work and I can't edit it anymore:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2878631&size=l

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiwipip