What's new

Sony UBP-X700 UHD Player (1 Viewer)

I have a Sony 700 UHD player and a Sony 85" 900H tv. When I play a blu ray disc, the TV is displaying a picture setting of Dolby Vision even though the Blu Ray disc is not in Dolby Vision HDR. I called Sony and they confirmed that if the setting on the UHD player is set for Dolby Vision output, the TV will display the blu ray in Dolby Vision HDR. Sony technical services confirmed this fact. Anyone else have experience with this with other brands?

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Are blu rays (not UHD discs) even coded for Dolby Vision? I have the same player and Dolby Vision output is something that is selected from the settings menu. It is either on or off. But as far as I know there is no standard blu ray function for either HDR or Dolby Vision.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Sony Blu-ray players are notorious for having manual DV switch on/off. If you don't want your TV's Dolby Vision filter to snap on, turn off DV on your Sony Blu-ray player.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Sony Blu-ray players are notorious for having manual DV switch on/off. If you don't want your TV's Dolby Vision filter to snap on, turn off DV on your Sony Blu-ray player.
This is one of the main reasons why I did not buy another Sony player when I upgraded my original Sony X800 UHD player for Dolby Vision support. Sony's design is terrible -- other manufacturers automatically turn Dolby Vision on/off depending on the source material. There is no reason Sony could not have done the same thing. Their poor design choice was to Panasonic's benefit, as I bought a Panny 820 instead.

I am aware of the ability to turn off the DV setting on the Sony 700 player. The fact of the matter is that the picture on a blu ray looks pretty darn good when the TV defaults to the DV picture setting!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am aware of the ability to turn off the DV setting on the Sony 700 player. The fact of the matter is that the picture on a blu ray looks pretty darn good when the TV defaults to the DV picture setting!
I find it depends on the film. I watched a film that had HDR but not Dolby Vision (I think it was Pixar's Coco, but I may be misremembering), and it looked wonderful in DV. But when I put on the regular Blu-ray of Goldfinger in Dolby Vision, I didn't like the way it looked at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Strubdog