sony tv stand compatability

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Schlak, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Schlak

Jeffrey Schlak Auditioning

I am looking to buy a tv stand for my 32" xbr450. I was wondering if anyone knows if the regular 32" wega stands will work for the xbr model. I don't know if both televisions are the same size or if the XBR is bigger than the regular wega. I think the xbr stands are overpriced and also ugly. Greatly appreciate the help.

-Jeff

2. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

I have the SU32FD4 stand made for the 32fv27. It does not list the XBR's as Tv's compatable with this stand.

Steve

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You can manage to fit a 32-inch XBR on one of the Sony-brand stands intended for the standard-style Trinitrons. You will exceed the stand's maximum capacity by about twenty pounds.

So, if your center-channel speaker is not too heavy, you can probably do okay with such a stand.

BUT, since the XBR won't fit the non-XBR-compatible stand precisely (because of the different contours), you won't be able to take advantage of the restraining straps that come supplied with them (which is a consideration in earthquake-prone Southern California).

Generally, try to get the stand that matches your television. However, the non-matching stands sold under the Sony name will most likely do you just fine.

Exceptions: the Sony KV-40XBR700 and the Sony KV-36XBR450. Those sets are very heavy. Given all the warranty considerations, I'd factor the price of the matching stands into the entire purchase price. Seriously.