Sony TV keeps going out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Knight, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Steve Knight

Steve Knight Auditioning

I have a Sony 35" TV that is about 2 years old. Lately it has started turning itself off randomly. Somtimes it will do it several times within a few minutes. Occasionally, it will turn itself back on right after it turns itself off. Usually there is a flash of green light then out goes the TV. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Stunt Coordinator

I had the same exact thing happen to my 35" XBR just after the warranty ran out. The repair guy said it was a bad vacuum on the green crt. They zapped the yoke on the back of the tube a few times with some kind of instrument. They said it might seal the vacuum (or something to that effect). This happened about 6 months ago, so it's hard to remember all the details. This cured the set for 1 or 2 wks. then it started doing it again. The repair shop said I needed a new picture tube. I called Sony about it and told them it was just out of warranty and for a $2000 set they should do something to remedy this. They knocked 25% off the price of a new tube. Total bill was around $700-$800 including labor. I hope your set is still under warranty. Sorry to break the bad news. If I'm right, you should have to hit the on button on the remote twice to get the set to come back on. I was told that the 1st button press resets the set and the second press turns the set on.