SONY TV: "Greenish" via Component mode; Service Mode Tweak Advice?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Johnson, May 6, 2006.

1. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson Second Unit

Hi, I have a new 27 inch, direct view CRT SONY television, model KD-27FS170, and while I am mostly thrilled, the settings for viewing in component mode seem skewed toward the greenish. On other boards, I have read that others have had a similar issue and the consensus suggests that calibration is necessary. I have allowed for cable issues--swapped them--connection errors, etc. The problem is not so conspicuous as to suggest a bad jack or other hardware problem...

Since I am all but certain the component-specific factory settings are to blame, can anyone tell me whether the basic protocol for entering the SONY service mode outlined at this site still applies for the current model WEGA TVs?

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html

I wasn't sure whether it'd be appropriate to post them here, but the basic entry instructions are just a handful of paragraphs down in bold...

I understand the possibility of voiding my warranty by going into the service mode, but I feel that as long as my way in and out are iron clad...along with a means to abort without writing any changes to memory, I'm willing to accept all risks.

I only have one objective, if anyone can give me a hint of what values I need to address, specifically: I want to remove any programmed "bias" in SONY's factory settings for component video. I want them neutral, or to defer to the color signal as it's delivered to the TV from my dvd player, with no pumped up blues, greens, what have you. I figured SONY would have things pre-configured that way--as is the case with my JVC set, where all grey scale settings are zeroed out in component mode, completely flat--but they've obviously "pumped up the color volume".

Any help, advice or input would be appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Jack

2. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson Second Unit

I have since played around with different cables some more, with exactly the same results each time.

What's the likelihood that a hardware failure--a bad jack, say--would result in an effect that would be so subtle? Quite noticeable once you compare the different viewing modes, but yes, subtle...

The reason I suspect mis-calibration is that a number of colors get a perceptible push in component mode, not just greens. Pretty much everything seems a little unnaturally intensiified, with greens appearing ever so slightly out of proportion in the color mix. I would imagine that if cables, connections, bad jacks or the like were involved it would manifest much more explicitly. Any advice on how to proceed here?

Thanks again,

--Jack

3. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson Second Unit

I took the plunge and--after doing extensive research on SONY's service mode--got things all sorted out.

This is definitely NOT a hardware issue, for anyone who's been swapping their cables endlessly.

It's another classic example of miscalibration. For some reason, SONY uses a dramatically different grey scale configuration for component viewing, and the green cut is seriously over-cranked compared to the other modes. I eventually used the same configuration as the digital tuner and Video Input 1, albeit with a further lowered green cut. My picture has improved dramatically, and has a far more accurate color balance.

--Jack