Sony to release two ES integrated SACD/DVD receivers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, May 30, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I read about this on Audio Asylum. Sony issued a press release at the Home Entertainment show in New York City today stating its intention to release two ES integrated SACD/DVD receivers. Both will offer multi-channel SACD playback and progressive-scan DVD playback. The AVD-C70ES ($1000) will offer a five-disc changer and a power output of 120W x 5. The AVD-S50ES ($800) will offer a single-disc player and a power output of 100W x 5.
    I found the following portion of the press release particularly interesting:

2. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

What do you make of this Keith? I was due to get the 555es (finally) on June 15th, but am now uncertain. What I don't like is the insertion of DVD video into the equation, as I really didn't need a DVD video player. I wanted a purely musical device for SACD's and CD's. it looks like the 555es is the way to go, and who knows, maybe the 555 price will drop even more due to this announcment.

Reggie

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie asked:

4. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    That does sound promising, digital from front to end. Any idea if it will have Bass Management and Time Alignment? This would make a complete solution (well, except for DVD-A [​IMG]). It would still be better to have a digital out though.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, there was mention of bass management, but nothing about time alignment.

6. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

In some ways this is an interesting new market. Linn has, I believe, an integrated player/amp. I'm intrigued by the concept since it drastically reduces cabling cost and has the potential for a cleaner signal. That said, my fear would be the quality of the other components in this 'one box' solution. Also wonder if the receiver portion is up to snuff in the I/O stages and the power amp. Of course there will be concerns about the power supplies shared by so many stages.

But the real good news here is the further evidence of Sony's committment to SACD for the masses. If these products are halfway good they have the potential to drastically reduce the entry costs for new SACD users. If you couple sale of these players with production of Hybrid discs you have the possibility of people listening to SACD without even knowing it!!

7. IraSWeiss

IraSWeiss Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if this means there won't be a follow up product for the STR-DA5ES. If so, too bad.

I would hope that these combo products would also have an additional multi-channel analog input, digital inputs and video input for DVD-Audio/Video players. Did you notice that they have five amplifiers?

8. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig

9. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Products like this won't appeal to the more serious minded HT/HiFi fan. These all in one solutions will appeal to those who do not have the time or inclination for a full blown HT/audio setup. The niche here may be relatively small, but since there is no compitition, Sony may do well with these products. This is a product that should compete with the Bose systems and all other simular systems like them. I don't think these products are meant to replace stand-alone components and receivers. I said the niche MAY be small, it could be huge considering how well Bose seems to have thrived with their products. Anyway, nice to see some quality compitition in this segment.

10. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Jack that this is not a product aimed at HT'philes who already have many $$ in power amps and separates. I also doubt very much that 5.1 provision for DVDA will be included. But still the good news remains; Sony may not be doing all we wish on the software side but they are aggressively pushing SACD into markets.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob,

I agree with what you said. While these integrated components show Sony's further commitment to SACD, there could very well be compromises both in the receiver and SACD sections.

Jack,

I agree that these integrated components will not likely appeal to the audio- and videophiles out there, but it is interesting to note that these components do carry ES badges (along with ES prices). Perhaps the quality will surprise us.

Ira,

I wouldn't assume that these integrated components will replace the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES. As I said in reply to Reggie's post, I doubt they will replace dedicated SACD players like the 'C222ES and 'C555ES either. My hope is that Sony is just pushing the envelope in some ways with the integrated components while offering a new level of convenience. Hopefully Sony realizes the demand for dedicated components.