Sony to Release 3 Pop Hybrid SACDs

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, May 29, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Is this all Sony can do? The Indigo Girls? Incubus? Five for Fighting? Yawn.

The Indigo Girls have not been relevant for years. Come on Sony, give use something to get excited about, other than three paltry releases and more Dylan titles.

J

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Incubus kicks ass. That album is great, Lee. Incubus is an energetic, ambitious band. Though it's not their best album, IMO, it's very good. Morning View is still my fave by them- check it out.

This news makes me glad I didn't pick up the CD yet (I've been using my sister's copy- they're her favorite band).

4. Justin Lane

Incubus strikes me as just another Korn rip off. Their music is good for those times when you would like a heavy beat in the background but not much else IMHO.

Speaking of Korn, they are on Sony/Epic. SACD releases from them would actually get me somewhat excited.

J

5. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I got the new Incubus a few weeks ago but hadnt had a chance to listen to it. Make Yourself still is my favorite Incubus album.

Even though I got real sick of Korn and traded all my cds of theirs; Id still like Untouchables on SACD. That was a kick-ass album. I thought I read it was in the pipeline.

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

First off Lee, thanks for posting. Incubus is one of my favorite bands and I agree with Mike, I like Morning View much more, but I am excited about this release because maybe MV will follow as well as Science and Make Yourself.

I have to disagree with Justin however. I hate Korn, absolutely cannot stand that band. If Incubus sounded anything like Korn, then I wouldn't want anything to do with them. The fact that I have all their albums would suggest they sound nothing like Korn. Just because both bands use a turntable in the mix doesn't mean they sound alike. After all, Linkin Park has a mixer, and they have a distinct sound as well.

Incubus' music is diverse, complicated and layered. I think they are much more than just a heavy beat in the background, by far.

Lee, maybe you are getting old??? [​IMG]

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    If Sony was really serious about SA-CD, it seems like they'd be releasing atleast 3 titles a week...?

8. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

Agreed. How 'bout some Sarah McLachlan or Dido already?!

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I guess I am getting old. [​IMG]

I'm glad Incubus is a popular title...

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Sadly, I think Sony is not very serious about SACD anymore.

11. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I don't know a ton about Incubus nor have I purchased either of their albums. But the first two radio releases off the second album are great to hear. I love it when bands get political and relevant to the times, especially these days when so much new music is just fluff.

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I don't like Korn, mostly because I just can't get past the singer. But I don't "hate" them (a word I reserve for terrorists and TV commercials) and wouldn't deny their influence on popular rock.

Yes, Incubus' album is a bit more political. I personally like it when their lyrics are pretentious and cosmic, like on a lot of songs on Morning View. It reminds me of 70s prog.

I just hope this announcement doesn't go the way of the Clapton and Steely Dan SACDs.

13. MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh Supporting Actor

Neither are they about music, how else could they shelved the new Fiona Apple CD because they couldn't find a first single.

14. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I'm still pissed off about that.

I've been waiting for it for a long time, and now that it's done - it's sitting with Sony doing nothing.

It's almost as if the labels go out of their way to piss off their customers.

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Don't worry Mike, they are coming. The Clapton albums were displayed prominently in the 1-04 SACD catalog. They are probably just working out some rights issues.

16. Justin Lane

Bitches Brew has been displayed in these catalogs for what seems like years now, and has still yet to see the light of day. I am very worried, as the catalog means nothing about a title actually being released, and those titles that completely disappear from the Universal site never see the light of day. Remember the Johnny Cash America recordings. All were listed as SACD releases on Universal's site, and then they were all pulled and we have not heard a word about them since (well over a year in time). Hmm....

It is also disturbing with what Universal was trying to pull with Elliot Scheiner regarding the Clapton releases, telling him to ignore the original engineer's notes and make the multichannel mixes more modern. [​IMG]

J

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    All That We Let In is the correct name of the Indigo Girls album.

Interesting that another Indigo SACD is (supposedly) going to street . . . and its still not of their very popular eponymous debut featuring their biggest single, the wonderful "Closer To Fine." There was even a (poorly mastered) SBM gold CD of Indigo Girls.

-p

18. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

I've never heard Incubus, but I'm going to buy the SACD anyway - I'm starving for music, new and old, on SACD and DVD-A. Maybe I should get a turntable?[​IMG] I think that's the only way I'll hear Led Zeppelin again on anything other than redbook.

19. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Dave, have you heard about 8-track tape?[​IMG] That's another good shot 'fer ya!

20. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

What ever happened to John Mayer's "Heavier Things"??? Come on, Sony!