What's new

Sony to include download movie for PC on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dan_Ohio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Sony found something to include on the extra space of a Blu-ray. A copy of the movie to download to your PC and likely IPOD.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sweet, won't have to use various third party programs on my Mac to shrink the movies I buy to iPod format! :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Doh! LOL, and I thought I'd never bother w/ video on an iPod. :P But if it comes essentially "free" on BD, then why not I guess. :D I doubt I'd have much use for it myself, but it might be a good gimmick to appeal to the masses.

I think I'd only be interested in video on iPod for (mostly older) TV shows and certain other programming where I don't really care that much about the a/v quality and don't mind only watching 20-to-45-min at a time (for portable use). :D

_Man_

Dan_Ohio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Sorry guys, we will need Adam or Ron to help verify, but other articles are saying only for the PSP.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
BTW, if it's PSP, I guess they're not concerned that people will stop buying movies on PSP(??). I can see people renting from NetFlix, et al, and then saving the portable version for their iPod or PSP or whatever... :P

_Man_

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The most recent copy of Die Hard 4 and Harry Potter (Phoenix) both included a copy of the film in WMV format on the DVD version. Fox mentioned that they were also looking at an iPod compatable version on future releases, but didn't say anything about that being on BD. I actually don't think it makes sense for BD yet since so few computers have BD drives. It makes more sense to be on DVD since every computer could read it and copy the file. I don't ahve a PSP, but as I understand it you would need some way to get the PSP (or PC) version off the disc and onto the portable device. I don't know how you could do that without a BD drive in a PC.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Well, like I said, it could be a good gimmick to help sell BD to the masses, including BD drives in computers -- DVD doesn't really need the gimmick now although I guess some studios might think it'll help w/ their "sagging" DVD sales. Also, some players come w/ a SD card slot, no? I guess that could be one way. Something like the PS3 would offer multiple ways as well, eg. USB, general network/WiFi, SD card on some models.

_Man_

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
It wasn't included to sell DVD, but to combat piracy. The studios would rather give you a protected copy to use to discourage filesharing.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

This is a feature that is built into the Blu-ray spec (and HD-DVD for that matter). You can connect your portable device directly to the Blu-ray player via USB and can transfer the file from there or you can transfer it over a network.

Unless Sony is creating a separate version of this feature, which I doubt, it is not PSP only (though that is what I'm seeing reported so who knows, Sony's comment was a bit vague).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks