What's new

sony ta-p9000es ? (1 Viewer)

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
I agree completely with Gail M's, description of the TA-P9000ES's sonics. It's a really detailed piece that seems to pass whatever it receives unaltered, it just seems to get out of the way.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone has compared it to a passive preamp/volume control?

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Gail. Here's the list of my associated equipment:

GR Research AV1+ speakers in the fronts and center channels

B&K Ref 4420 - 2 channel amp (200watts per side)

Acurus 100x3 - 3 channel amp (100 watts per side)

Harman Kardon 2.0 - Pre/pro

Sony XA 20es - CD player

Outlaw Audio - ICBM

Sony DVP 7700 - DVD player

Harmonic Technology - ProSilway - ITC (CD player to processor only)

Canare ITC’s through out the rest of the system

DH Lab Q-10 - Speaker Cable

Room size 11x17x10

(4) 5ft Bass traps and acoustic wall coverings

Behringer Feedback Destroyer ( for the sub)

I plan on using one of the 6 channel inputs (not bypass) to run my CD player through for 2-channel listening but only if I can get as close to neutral performance from the pre/pro as possible.

I am also looking into repurchasing a Adcom GFP-750 preamp if the performance of the TAP isn't at least comparable to the Adcom 750 in active mode. My thinking is if the TAp was designed for high resolution formats then it must be very neutral to say the least. I listened to my CD player last night hooked up directly to the amp and it was wonderful. The closer I can get to that experience the better but if I can save a few bucks and still walk away happy then that's wonderful as well.

Thanks

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Hi Darren. That Adcom GFP-750 was one of the $1500 preamps I was talking about in our email conversation. It seems to get good reviews but I think it has questionable build quality and reliability issues (for the money).

You can get the P9000es and if you are not totally satisfied with that as a 2 channel preamp (I think you will)you can add many very good 2 channel preamps for far less than the GFP-750 to the P9000es 2 channel bypass. The P9000es is built better than the Adcom IMO.

Do a search on Ricky T and see what 2 channel preamp he got with the unity gain feature. I know it was in the same price range as the GFP-750 and it was a tube preamp. Another HTF user connected a bottlehead tube preamp to the P9000es, which is what I suggest you could do if not totally happy with the P9000es for 2 channel.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Charles. I'm really not concerned with how flexible the TAP is except for the HT bypass capabilities. However, as I stated in my e-mail to you and here on this thread, my concern was with the sonics of the unit. I know you told me that sonically the TAP can be compared to 2-channel pre amps in the $500.00 range right? I used to own the GFP-750 preamp as well as the Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp. The cost of the TAP and the whispers that I've heard over the last weeks had me thinking that I could get a unit in my system that would be more neutral than my HK pre/pro. However, if I can't compare the sonics of the TAP to a preamp in the $1,000 range then I may have to look back at the Adcom GFP-750.

Bruce N

Second Unit
I love my TA-P except for one thing. When switching from Input 1 or 2 to the 5.1 bypass I get a loud POP! Anyone else have this problem?
I agree with every one else, the TA-P is very neutral and clean. It just controls the volume and that's it. Very nice!
Bruce

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce N,

I noticed this when I used the channel selector knob on the front. When using the remote this didn't happen. I figured that maybe mine had a noisy switch or something, but since I'll be using the remote 99.9% of the time I didn't think to much about it. Plus I enjoy this unit so much I wasn't going to take it out of my rack.

At this point that's about the only negative thing I've encountered with it.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hey guys, when you post about your TAP could you do me a favor and post a little about your overall system. I'm really trying to get a better sense of what this unit is capable of and all I've been getting is how much everyone loves it but not anything I can use as a point of reference. Nothing technical is required but just a little more meat with the posts.

Thanks

PomingF

Second Unit
Bruce, as I recall when I switch my TA-P from input 1 to 2 channel bypass there isn't a 'pop' but there is one going back from 2 channel bypass to input 1. Even so it isn't a loud one, just enough to catch my attention & of course that can be level dependent. In fact I believe mine also gives a 'pop' getting out from mute to input 1. Btw, all my switchings are done via the remote.

Martice I have my TA-P setup taking the 5.1 outputs from the Pioneer universal player into a pair of Bryston amps for fronts and three channels of a Citation amp for center/surrounds. I am also using the TA-P's 2 channel bypass to allow my original CD system (Adcom GCD-750 & Rogue 99) to share the fronts.

I can tell the difference between playing CD's through my CD rig as compare to using the Pioneer I think mainly due to the Rogue's (tube) sonic character. This by no means is a slam on the TA-P for I find it very clean, quiet & neutral in all (active from the Pioneer & bypass from the Rogue) modes.

Hope that helps.

PF

Gail M

Agent
Martice,

We have a Sony 555es SACD player feeding an ICBM which feeds into the #1 5.1 input; and a Parasound Tuner feeding the Rear L/R, and my Turntable/phono preamp feeding the Front L/R of #2 5.1 input. We have nothing feeding the 2 channel bypass input and an Outlaw 950 feeding the 5.1 bypass input. Eventually, we are gonna move the turntable/phono preamp to the Outlaw, sell the seperate tuner, and then use the #2 5.1 input of the P9K for our RP-91 and DVD-A playback.

Martice

Screenwriter
Thanks Gail for the info. Now about the sonics of the TAP. Many people have said that the TAP is neutral, invisible and has no effect on the sonics of the rest of your audio chain. However, many passive units have no effect on the sonics except dynamics. When I had my GFP-750 I would play my audio using the passive mode but the trade off was a drop off in dynamics in exchange for clarity. Is this the same thing when you use the bypass inputs on the TAP unit as opposed to the 5.1 inputs? Can you hear any difference between the 5.1 and the bypass inouts? If so, what differences did you notice?

Thanks

Bruce N

Second Unit
I get the POP! whether using the knob or the remote. It seems to get worse after a little time. If I switch from Input 1 to 5.1 bypass, POP!, if I switch back immediately, no pop, wait five minutes, POP!
I use my TA-P with the following components:
Sony TA-E9000ES Pre-pro
Sony TA-P9000ES Analog Preamp
Paradigm X-30 Sub Crossover
Rane PE-17 Parametric EQ
Rotel RMB-1095 200x5 Main Amp
Definitive Technology BP30 Mains
Definitive Technology C/L/R2000 Center
Definitive Technology BPVX Surrounds
Crown K1 500x2 Sub Amp
SVS 16-46CS+ Subwoofers (2)
Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD Player
Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD Player
Sony CDP-M555ES 400 Disc CD Changer
California Audio Sigma II Tube DAC
RCA DTC-100 HDTV/DSS Receiver
Philips DSR6000 DirecTV with Tivo
Pioneer Elite PRO-710HD 64" HDTV
VansEvers Unlimiter Power Conditioner
VansEvers Model 85 Power Conditioner
VansEvers Model 11 Video Power Conditioner
Bettercables Interconnects
HD 12ga Speaker wire
2 20A Dedicated Circuits
Bruce

Martice

Screenwriter
Thank You all. I put my order in for the TAP over at One Call. I figure since my CD player has variable outs I can hook it up to the 2-channel bypass and the HT processor up to the 5.1 bypass giving me the best of both worlds. I will A/B the 5.1 versus the passive inputs when I receive my unit. I will post my findings.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozeman
Recent bookmarks