What's new

sony ta-p9000es ? (1 Viewer)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Would this be better to switch between DVDA and SACD? I have switch boxes but was wondering if this would be better. Or should I just get a good 5 channel amp?

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
I have the TA-P9000 and will say that not only is it convenient to flip between inputs at the press of a button, but it sounds crystal clear as well. It made integrating DVD-A, SACD and Home theater all into one system so much easier.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Where is the best place to get the Sony? And, is there any chance that Outlaw will release an ICBM with dual 5.1 inputs?

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I paid a little more at B&M at 900.00 two months ago. I have seen them offered for 750.00 through Oade Bros(spelling?)on previous threads. Do a search on DA5ES.
By the way, I love mine!:D

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Try Oade.com or JandR.com both have good prices on Sony products.

I have not heard anything about an ICBM with 2 multi-channel inputs.

Martice

Screenwriter
I've seen them for $549.00! If you want to get good prices give me an e-mail.

Good Luck

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I just got a Denon 2802 in Sept. Would a DA5ES sound better on music? I'm not above selling the DENON for better sound. If not I'll just look at the 9000.

PomingF

Second Unit
Look for another thread here where Keith & John talk about using two RS switches (for dual 5.1 inputs) on the ICBM without much signal degradation. Yes, an ICBM following the TA-P would be great. :)
PF

Gail M

Agent
Yes, an ICBM following the TA-P would be great.
True, unless you are going to use that 5.1 bypass input on the P9K for your HT processor. Then you'd have multiple crossovers in the signal path when you wanted to watch a movie unless you got up and switched your ICBM to bypass for each channel.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Gail M mentions the issue with doubling of the crossovers, isn't there also the possibility of time delay issues with placing the ICBM before the amps instead of between the DVDA/SACD and the Preamp? Maybe the doubling of the crossovers and the time delays issues are one in the same?
Maybe I misunderstood Bobby T's question but I thought the ICBM was referenced earlier in this thread as a multi-channel input solution instead of having to buy another receiver or preamp? Therefore instead of going out and purchasing another receiver or preamp one could wait and purchase this device and use their existing receivers multi-channel input and have the multi-channel ICBM perform the switching tasks between SACD and DVDA.
I have not heard any news of Outlaw coming out with a multi-channel version, if they are a power switch and remote control power on/off would be a nice addition as well. :)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Kevin is right, I was wondering if a new version of the Outlaw was being considered with more inputs to use as a switcher. I have switch boxes now and I'm making sure I have the best possible signal path to my receiver. I bought cheaper players to check out DVDA and SACD and before I upgrade those players I want to make sure everything else is right in my system. The big question is will the Sony 9000 offer $600 worth of improvement over switch boxes or should I replace the old 2 channel amp on my mains to nice 5 channel? Thanks for all of the replies.

Gail M

Agent
We bought our Sony P9K from OneCall for $475 delivered. And, previously, Outlaw told us that they were not considering a multi-input ICBM.

The big question is will the Sony 9000 offer $600 worth of improvement over switch boxes or should I replace the old 2 channel amp on my mains to nice 5 channel?
Not only does the P9K act as a switcher, but it also takes your pre/pro out of the signal path entirely for SACD and DVD-A.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Bobby T,

I'm not sure if anyone is going to tell you which would be the better $600.00 purchase. It really depends on your needs.

I purchased the 9000 after buying my preamp, amps, sources etc. It was basically a finishing piece for my system. In the short time I've had the 9000 I'm really enjoying it more an more, the sound, multiple inputs, remote and pure convenience is very nice, but as you mentioned there is a cost trade off versus the switch boxes, amps and other needs. I would pick the one that's of the greatest value to you. You can always get the others at a later date.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my 9000 for a month and am very happy with it. I was using the two Radio Shack switches before I got the Sony. I noticed a lower noise floor immediately. I would have to guess if the effect was because of the ratshack switches or no longer having the signal path go through my Denon 3300 receiver that I use for my pre/pro. It is also far more convenient not to have to get up off of ones arse to change switches.

The P9000 can be purchased for far less than 600. Oade.com sells it for 450 every day. There are also at least 2 or 3 of these on ebay all the time. I have noticed that they are being sold by the same two sellers. That is where I bought mine and it was less than 400.

Greg Johnson

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Thanks all. I guess I have a lot of thinking and listening to do and I'll decide what order to buy everything in.

Martice

Screenwriter
How is the TA-P9000es as a preamp for 2-channel stereo. I used to have an Adcom GFP-750 and miss the performance of it but can't purchase another one at the moment.

Any feedback on the sonic performance of this unit and any comparisons?

Thanks

Gail M

Agent
Any feedback on the sonic performance of this unit and any comparisons?
Martice,

Since this pre/pro merely passes the signal through unaltered, this really depends on your source unit. Using our 555es SACD player for redbook CD playback sound sweet. It's somewhere in between the Outlaw 950's stereo bypass and a good tubed preamp... very detailed, with a big soundstage, without any missing frequencies or sloppyness on the top or bottom ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks