Sony Ta-e9000es vs Outlaw 950

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eric D Wong, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Eric D Wong

Eric D Wong Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, I have been out of the home theater loop for a while, but I'd like to get back into it. Right now my music/movies system is 2 channel, older Magnepan MGIIIA speakers, audio by van alstine preamp, Audio Control Richter scale III crossover, Adcom amps, home made sonotube sub. I plan to move that system somewhere else as a music only system.

I'm feeling the need to redo the entire system. I plan to get some Polk Audio LSi or RT series speakers. Probably more along the lines of the LSI15s in the front, the center and the di/bipole surrounds. I like adcom amps so I plan to keep using them, what model I havent decided yet.

So, I've been looking at 2 different A/V preamps. The Sony TA-E9000ES or the outlaw 950. I dont have to have the latest components so I'm sure either of these are a heck alot better then what I have now. I'll also probably get it used if I can.

I know the Outlaw 950 is a 7 channel, but honestly I dont know if I'm going to use full 7 channels, thats 2 more channels of amplification and speakers to buy. I also read comments that its due for an upgrade. What about the Sony? I'm more of a 'purist audiophile' so I dont need a ton of DSP or other sound altering devices. So what do you all think?

2. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

I dont know about the outlaw, but I know the TA-E9K is going pretty cheep on the used market, I know where you can get one for $500 with the latest software all SB's and a power cable mod.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The 9000ES has no multichannel input, so SACD/DVD-Audio are out. Takes it off the table for me. YMMV.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've owned the TA-E9000ES and its a nice unit but as Drew mentions it doesn't have any multichannel inputs so the newer high res formats won't be an option for you which could be important...even if you only listen to them in 2 channel. I sold my TA-E to buy a Rotel 1066 pre amp and it was a nice upgrade in both sound quality and features so you might consider looking for a used Rotel.

5. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

To add MC and a direct path to analog to the TAE9000 requires the TAP9000. This addition would be hard to find nowadays due to the popularity and rarity of this unit. If found, the TAP would be fairly expensive which would make the total cost of both units beyond reason in todays market. Go for the Outlaw or other processor to your liking.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If you don't think you're going to do 7 channel (and actually you can do this with the Sony, btw), and if you don't think you're going to do SACD/DVD-A, then the Sony is a good choice. IMO, the Sony was an incredible steal for $1700 when it came out. It is "overbuilt" in relationship to most components you get today for anything near that price. 28 lbs, Cu plate shielding, it also had internal reclocking of all incoming digital signals for minimization of jitter, etc.

I had both the Sony and the Outlaw. Had the Sony in my system for 4 years. Had the Outlaw in my system for 6 months. I liked both, but for pure sound quality and a more purist approach, I'd prefer the Sony.

(7.1 on the Sony: use y-connectors on the surrounds. A kludge, yes, but it worked a heck of a lot better than I thought it would. [​IMG] )

Here are a few good sites to use for research:

http://home.online.no/~espen-b/ta-e9000es/

http://p081.ezboard.com/faussiedvdan...formationforum

Alan Rutledge (sp?) also had a really good site, like Espen's, but doesn't seem to show up on google now.

7. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I also used the TAE (and TAP) for 4 years. It is great for 5.1 if you don't need the 6 channel bypass. Paying the price of TAP's nowadays ($600 or more) plus the price of the TAE puts you into used Aragon Soundstage price range (which I now have). I'd opt for the Soundstage if you can swing the $1000 and must have analog bypass.

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Considering the popularity of the Sony 9000 series is still strong years after they have been discontinued... don't you think an Asian bootleg company would have reverse-engineered the damn thing and be selling knock-offs yet?

9. Eric D Wong

DANG, I'm even more torn now then before. The Sony on ebay looks like theres plenty of them and they go for $300 or so. Thats a steal I think for how much it does, sure its old but its better then what I got now and I'm not looking to spend $1500+ on a new B&K/Denon unit. I'm REAL tempted to pick one of these up. On the other hand there is an Outlaw unit on ebay for $500 going bid right now. But the touch screen remote and software upgrade capability of the sony.... I dont think the sony has a tuner, but I never use the FM anyway and I do have a seperate arcam tuner. But then again 7 channels sure does sound promising. Gahhh... i cant decide!

10. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

A little piece of older electronic art for $300 is unblievable. Nothing below 1K nowadays will come close to this quality. The step up in this catagory would be the Lexicon MC-1 now going for about $1500. Anyone who only needs 5.1, the 9000es is the deal. This could even be a great backup for anyones current system or a high quality bedroom setup. If i didn't already have two setups,I'd consider tis purchase myself.

11. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

If you buy the Sony TA-E9K make sure it has all the service Bulitins, there is a serious Power Board problem with the first few years of manufacturering. Mine had all the SB's installed recently to solve this and many have reported this problem.

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The Outlaw 950 is a fine sounding unit but it's ergonomics and remote aren't as nice as most units, IMO. Sound Pros in San Diego has the Sony 9000 in chaum-payne-ee gold if you wanted it that way, new. I think they're gettin' $1250...?

13. Eric D Wong

I went to best buy tonight and checked out their SACD/DVD audio collection. DANG, after seeing it I want to get into that. Shows how far behind I am with all this audio gear, I need to catch up lol.

I'm sooo undecided- I know I'd have to get a SACD player, and I'm assuming that it has multi channel analog out to plug into the multichannel ins of say the Outlaw-- but why cant they just pipe the multichannel info over with digital connections instead and let the processor decode it? Dang I need to start reading stereo magazines again.

14. Chris Cash

Chris Cash Stunt Coordinator

Outlaw Audio has been getting some really good reviews lately. I just recently bought an ICBM-1 bass manager from them, and they're customer service is great.

~C.C.~

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Multichannel music a la SACD and DVD-A cannot be sent over a digital connection. Copyright stuff. Not coax or toslink, anyway. There are some proprietary connections and Pioneer, Sony, etc have iLink, but not widely available yet. You have to be careful though, in that hybrid SACDs have a CD layer that you might *think* is the SACD layer, and DVD-A's have a DVD-V layer that you might *think* is the DVD-A layer, both of which can be sent over the digital connection. But neither is the real deal.

16. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

I just got back into SACD for the second time since my new Halo C2 had the connections available, and at first I went nuts and bought up a bunch of SACD's. After the initial excitement wore off (about 2 months) I find that I don’t hardly ever listen to SACD's, even if I do a demo to impress someone I would only use maybe one or two tracks off a SACD for the demo, it's just not that cool, the multi-channel stuff is nice but the 2-ch is horrid, far worse then Redbook IMO. Overall I wouldn’t miss not having SACD, there isn't many good recordings and the verity is still weak. It’s been my experience that it’s all in the recording anyway, not the hardware or this DSD hi-rez playback stuff, I personally couldn’t tell the difference between 24/96 vs. 48/192, but some multi-channel mixes are quite good, and others are not so good, just like all mediums.

17. Eric D Wong

I think Im going to go with the Sony unit. I like how the outlaw has the 7 channel, and the component video and the SACD in but the more I think about it, the 5.1 will be plenty. I dont want to start an entire SACD collection either, I already got enough CDs and started doing LPs for my DJ system. I dont have a hidef (or even a 'great' tv) yet, so the only component video piece I have is the DVD player and Ill be sure to buy a tv with more then 1 component input. Having no tuner doesnt bother me cause I dont listen to FM. I love that LCD remote and its got more then enough digital inputs that I wont have to use my minidisc player as a DAC from my PC. not to mention the aforementioned websites that offer support and chat about it.

18. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I'm very happy with my TA-E9K, but the remote is not one of the reasons. I only use mine if I want to change something in the setup menu. The rest of the time, I use my humble RM-AV2000, which I have taught all of the necessary day-to-day commands.

I get the itch to upgrade from time to time, but I'd be out a few thousand bucks to do it right (side speakers, pre-pro, DVD player) and I can't convince myself that it's worth it in my room with my small MC SACD collection.

I was able to create a 2 channel analog path in my system, so I'm very happy with 2-channel SACD for the forseeable future.

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If you get the VCD-9000 something something upgrade kit with the TA-E9000ES, it comes with a little egg shape remote, that IMO, is much better than that LCD piece of crap. [​IMG] Make sure you get at least software rev 2.01 on the unit itself.

Also be aware, that there was a service bulletin on the original lCD remote, because there was a defect and it used up batteries in 2 weeks.

20. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I still have my TAE with a couple of TANs - both in the 2BTL +1 mode and I am very happy. I keep an eye out for a TAP which would be nice but not critical.
    I have had mine for 5 years without a problem. Once I started to loose audio sych and traced it too our power company. I picked up a UPS and problem solved.

Hey Kevin, thought I would find you here.