Sony Sub WM-40 Polyfill Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Goff, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Dave Goff

Dave Goff Agent

I have my system pretty much set up and it works fine. I have read about stuffing the Sony subs with polyfill, using about one half to three quarters of a pound of the stuff and lining the inside so it does not touch the speaker or blocks the port.

It appears I need to unscrew the speaker to get inside. Is this how others have done it or is there another / better way?

Thanks

2. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

You are correct. Carefully remove the screws from the speaker. You may have to help the speaker a little when removing it as it has a good seal but it will come out fairly easy. Add the Polyfill around the inside walls and reinstall the speaker. It makes a definite improvement in the sound. Not so boomy after the mod.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Be careful not to overstuff and/or cover the internal amp in such a way as to affect it's cooling. You could blow a transistor like I did in my PSB Sub6. Lucky for me I was able to fix it.

4. EricM

EricM Auditioning

Are there any websites that show internal pics of a polyfilled sub?

5. Dave Goff

Dave Goff Agent

Yes it would be great to see a picture of a lined sub enclosure. Also I assume you need to staple the stuff to the sides so it does not shift to unwanted locations.

6. Todd_Glassman

Todd_Glassman Auditioning

I thought I would have to staple the polyfill to keep it in place, but you will find as I did that the stuff really holds its place by itself.

7. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

No stapling necessary in my case. It holds its form rather well. I opened mine up to check that very thing about two weeks ago and no problems at all.

8. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

In what section of Wal-Mart can you find this stuff?

9. Dave Goff

Dave Goff Agent

I found it at Michael's, a craft supply store. Ask the person at the counter. 20 oz was $2.99 they had smaller bags for $2.00

10. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

Theres not an internal amp in the sony. The amp is external. just a big hollow box begging for polyfill. The members of this forum are correct, I did this mod it not only sounded better with music, but tightened up the bass on movies.

11. Dave Goff

Dave Goff Agent

Thanks to all the replies. The wife keeps asking me what I am going to do with the bag of white fuzz. I told her not to toss it or put it away. Tonight the polyfill goes in, and I will play a few tracks off Pearl Harbor. I will let you folks know how it goes.[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Dave Goff

Dave Goff Agent

I did fill the sub up with polyfill. I weighed the bag prior to adding and after. I used 9 ounces of poly. Tried to pull it apart fairly evenly, about 2 to 2.5" thick, trimmed it with scissors fairly square. I did use a heavy duty stapler to hold it back up front so no contact with the speaker.

Instead of Pearl Harbor tested with Star Wars episode II, I recommend that you find a track you know well, and listen to it just before the poly addition and immediately after. It is better, haven't listened to it modified with music sources yet.