What's new

Sony Sub with DPL (1 Viewer)

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Just got the Sony SAWM 40 Sub for my secondary HT setup. I only have a Technics DPL Receiver there but I wanted to get more BASS. Not sure about the hookup. The AVR has L-R RCA jacks for the sub. Sould these be run into a Y connector and then to LINE IN on the sub? Are L R ouputs common for a DPL Receiver? If so, why? I played Ronin and It doesn't appear to give me hardly anything during the explosions etc. I know DPL doesn't have a dedicated SUB channel like DD but Is this all I can expect from DPL? Seems like there should be more. I tried hooking up to each SUB OUT ( L R ) and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The Mains are Acoustic Research 308s which are pretty decent but I'm thinking maybe try a Speaker Level hookup. Any thoughts?

Thanks

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
"Y" them together. Let us know what happens.

What's the vid source? DVD? VHS?

Good Luck!

- CM

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
I did Y them. Just not getting much BASS. Volume is about 3/4 on the SUB. Cutoff control is all the way up (170 hz I think.) There is no setting within the receiver to adjust. I'm not sure what that setting is fixed at. Read it but don't remember.

I'm playing DVD Media on a Pany 120

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Cut the crossover to 60 - 80.

Crank the volume.

Adjust.

Next resort = the speaker level input.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
John--
My DD reciever broke and for now I'm running a pimped-out DPL system.
I wrote an articl awhile ago on how to acheive good dpl bass..
Here is the link: here
Nathan

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Nat: Thanks for the tips but I'm using this DPL AVR temorarily. I'm going to get a low cost Digital unit for down there. So, I don't want to invest in equelizers etc.

I would still like to know why this unit has a L-R ouput for the sub. Is the BASS actually seperated for TWO subs? The manual doesn't really say anything about it. I guess I'll Y them and try more tweaking. Another thing I'd like to know........is DPL really a LOW BASS format? It seems when I had this unit upstairs and played Jurassic Park I was getting much more BASS. The X-over is 80 HZ for this unit. I have the SUB control all the way up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks