Sony Sub with DPL

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John DeSantis, Jan 17, 2002.

1. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

Just got the Sony SAWM 40 Sub for my secondary HT setup. I only have a Technics DPL Receiver there but I wanted to get more BASS. Not sure about the hookup. The AVR has L-R RCA jacks for the sub. Sould these be run into a Y connector and then to LINE IN on the sub? Are L R ouputs common for a DPL Receiver? If so, why? I played Ronin and It doesn't appear to give me hardly anything during the explosions etc. I know DPL doesn't have a dedicated SUB channel like DD but Is this all I can expect from DPL? Seems like there should be more. I tried hooking up to each SUB OUT ( L R ) and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The Mains are Acoustic Research 308s which are pretty decent but I'm thinking maybe try a Speaker Level hookup. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

"Y" them together. Let us know what happens.

What's the vid source? DVD? VHS?

Good Luck!

- CM

3. John DeSantis

I did Y them. Just not getting much BASS. Volume is about 3/4 on the SUB. Cutoff control is all the way up (170 hz I think.) There is no setting within the receiver to adjust. I'm not sure what that setting is fixed at. Read it but don't remember.

I'm playing DVD Media on a Pany 120

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Cut the crossover to 60 - 80.

Crank the volume.

Adjust.

Next resort = the speaker level input.

5. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

John--
    My DD reciever broke and for now I'm running a pimped-out DPL system.
    I wrote an articl awhile ago on how to acheive good dpl bass..
    Here is the link: here
    Nathan

6. John DeSantis

Nat: Thanks for the tips but I'm using this DPL AVR temorarily. I'm going to get a low cost Digital unit for down there. So, I don't want to invest in equelizers etc.

I would still like to know why this unit has a L-R ouput for the sub. Is the BASS actually seperated for TWO subs? The manual doesn't really say anything about it. I guess I'll Y them and try more tweaking. Another thing I'd like to know........is DPL really a LOW BASS format? It seems when I had this unit upstairs and played Jurassic Park I was getting much more BASS. The X-over is 80 HZ for this unit. I have the SUB control all the way up.