What's new

Sony Sub SAW40 modification (1 Viewer)

Oscar_R

Second Unit
Hello all,

As the heading states, I recently purchased a Sony SAW40 subwoofer. I've read you can fill the sub to make the sound "punchier" and owuld be interested in taking this project on. Problem is I have no idea what I'm doing and need some guidance. What material do I use? How much , quantities? What kind of improvement can expect? Anyone

have experience with this sub and modification? All help would be gratefully appreciated.

Nathan_M

Grip
I have done the modifications, i.e. remove driver, spray insides with adhesive and stick accoustic foam on all surfaces and installed spiked feet on the bottom. You can order the adhesive, foam and spiked feet from www.partsexpress.com. I will tell you not to expect too much. To my wife, brother, dad and my untrained ears, the difference was subtle at best. More than anything it piqued my interest in DIY and now I'm building a sub. That said, it is a good little sub for the price and it's better than what I had before (no sub at all).

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I have an idea.

Take the sub back and get a better one that you will be happy with. I was checking out your previous threads and dont you have the Denon 2802? With a great start like that, I would suggest something tighter and less boomy. If you need help with your HT, I can try my best to help out. I live in the same area as you.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
I concur; if you haven't tweaked it yet and haven't had it for 30 days, return it. I bought and tweaked a SAW40 and am already yearning for a "tighter" sound. The ridiculously low price for the quality of an SVS non-powered or especially a DIY makes this an easy decision.

Then again, if you really have a tight budget, this Sony sub with the tweaks is WAY better than no sub at all!

Oscar_R

Second Unit
well, I would love to build my own sub, unfortunetly I do not have the tools to do so. Paid $129.00 for the sub, seemed like a good deal at the time.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Oscar, I've owned one, it is a very good deal. :) Folks are just trying to squeeze every once of performance possible for not too much outlay, that's all. I've heard of people replacing the driver, etc...I wouldn't put any real cash at all into the thing, though. The stuffing is only a couple bucks, though, maybe worth a try.

Nathan_M

Grip
Oscar, I agree, that is a very good deal. I just was in your position and read all the tweaking suggestions on audioreview.com and got my hopes up. I just wanted you to know that it sounds pretty much the same right out of the box so you can get the same enjoyment out of it without taking it apart and potentially stabbing the cone with screwdriver or drilling too big of a hole for the spiked feet and making a mess. (I didn't do either, but was worried I would.)

Oscar_R

Second Unit
Well, performed the tweack last ngiht, and you were right. The performance difference is really subtle. Nothing like what you'd expect from the babbling recommendations from audioreview.

After reading so much about SVS subs, I think that'll be my next upgrade. Gotta see how much my tax refund will be this year. The 16-46CS looks certainly do-able.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks