What's new

Sony STRDE995 vs. Yamaha HTR-5660 (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Since we're somewhat on the topic of output power for various receivers, remember all the discussions that have been made about the weight of the receivers? On the Sony STR-DA4ES, Sound and Vision didn't provide output figures because Sony would not let them test it as such and publish the results. However, the 4ES weighs 46 or so Lbs. Then others such as the HK 525 - which are quite close in producing their rated output power - weigh in the range of 30 Lbs. Certainly, the quality of the amps and the power supplies for them have much to do with the weight of a receiver.

Your thoughts?

Shiu

Second Unit
According to the HK website, the AVR525 weighs almost the same as the 4ES. Most of the weight of a receivers are due to the power supply, the enclosure, and the heat sinks. Some will argue that heavier does not necessarily better. You can't win, many people just think HK receivers are more powerful because they rate their products conservatively while the opposite is true for others, such as Sony. I think they are right, but only to a point.

Karl_Sp

Grip
how does the avr125 compare with the htr5660 since the avr125 is much closer in price than the avr225. how does the htr5660 compare with pioneers vsx912 model?

James Ireland

Auditioning
I recently upgraded from a Yamaha DSP A5 to a Sony STRVA555ES, the difference is not in the power output but in sound and build quality. I loved the DSP A5 for it's simple direct connection to my existing components but after about two years of tweaks and add ons I decided to upgrade to a receiver with the capability to drive the additional rear channels that were now available. The Sony is a revelation in comparison to what I had considered to be a very good Yamaha Amp. The Sony is built like a ww II tank with all the connection options you could reasonably demand, the sound has to be heard to be believed, detailed and enveloping are just some of the words that could be applied to the Sony, I could wax lyrical about this piece of Audio art all day long. I compared the Sony to the Pioneer and HK equivalents and was more than convinced that the Sony was the choice for me, incidentally this was the first piece of Sony audio kit that I have ever bought and would reccommend it to anyone looking for a quality piece of home entertainment equipment. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well my HK AVR-225 is awesome. I also looked at the whole Yamaha line up to about $600 and nothing could compete.

The HK AVR-125 in my opinion is basically the same thing but with the 225 you get 10 more WPC and as well as a few more video inputs with an on-screen display. These things aren't an absolute must and I think you would definantly go good with the HK AVR-125.

I finally decided not to get the Yamaha for lack of the digital inputs and lack of the video inputs as well. Yamaha doesn't offer too many extras until you get up into there higher line.

Also, the HK has one hell of a front-panel too which is an eye grabber to anyone, help show off your HT system.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I think a valid point for both the H/K and Sony ES receivers is their excellent front-panel visuals. Clearly, you can see the volume level for both receivers from 8 feet away - or, even a bit more. With Denon, I didn't like how small their readout was -- made it hard to see. Not too much experice with Yamaha -- I did own the HTR-5560 for a few weeks, but returned it, and gladly put my Denon back into service.

I think right now the H/K line has some great bargains out there - and you can save even a few more $$ if you want to go with a refurbished unit. Where else can you get a "flagship" receiver such as the AVR-7200 for a bit over $1,000 -- delivered to your home?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks