Sony STRDE995 vs. Yamaha HTR-5660

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BenSC, Aug 18, 2003.

1. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

So I've got an "in" at Best Buy, and these are the two best choices they have in my price range (other than the silver Kenwood). I've had 3 Sony's, the latest being an STRDE675, and have been very happy with them. I was planning on the 995 but if anyone can tell me why the Yamaha would be better, my mind could be swayed.

The differences I notice right off are:

Sony 7.1 vs. Yamaha 6.1
    Sony 110watts/7channels vs. Yamaha 85watts/6channels
    Yamaha appears to have "discrete" 6.1 while it doesn't say that for the sony.

Thanks for the help.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Yammie will have a much better amp section and better DACs. The Sony DE line is not highly regarded. You should also consider Onkyo, Marantz, Harman Kardon and Denon in your price range.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would take the Kenwood over any other receiver available from bestbuy. It has the same amp section as the previous year's 6070 which was tested at an actual 92watts per channel all channels driven full range, which is VERY impressive for a receiver in it's price range. Either the 7060, 7070, or 7080 would get my buy over any of the Yamahas or Sonys available at best buy. The only differences in the 3 are the 7060 doesn't have pre-outs (and lacks THX certification, which is a joke anyway) and the 7080 comes with the Kameleon remote which is neat, but has it's own downfalls. The 7070 has pre-outs and the older 6070 style RF remote which is a very good remote and doesn't have to be pointed at the receiver to work (receiver can be in a cabinet or dedicated equipment room).

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Cool. I was wondering about that. While I've liked my Sony's, I've never considered it to be the best in the price range. I'm inquiring about the Yammy only and not the others (I really like the HK in the price range, but Best Buy doesn't carry it) because I can get them for like $150 off at Best Buy through my Girlfriend.

5. NicholasTS

NicholasTS Stunt Coordinator

Do not go with anything less than the Yamahas at Best Buy! At Best Buy the Yamaha is unparalleled. Yamaha rates their equipment not based on maximums but minimums. They say they are 85 watts; that is the least that amp will be putting out. I think you're referring to the Yamaha HTR-5660... Hands down, it is the best for the price. Instead of using Integrated circuit (IC) chips for each channel, they now employ 6 discrete transistors. These allow for greatly reduced distortion, and more musical broad-band music by easing the load and not starving the other channels during peak output points. Another thing I love... The Yammies have what they call SilentCinema, a beautiful feature for watching movies without disturbing others. I went out and got some very nice Sony studio monitor headphones and plugged them in to the receiver. It's amazing! It really sounds like surround sound. You need to check that out if you haven't already. I could go on and on... Check out Yamaha's website. If you're knowledgable about the insides of electronics, you'll understand why this is the one to buy.

6. NicholasTS

Oh yeah, the digital processing and decoding is out of this world. At least for the price...
    Yes, I do agree with one of the above posts; Kenwood's so called "THX Certification" for under $800 is one of the funnier things I've seen in a while.

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

8. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well I would have to say I just bought the HK AVR225 and it is an amazing unit, much better than the Yamaha but if the best you can do is Bestbuy then go with the Yamaha. Of course which one you get is your choice, they are all 6.1 recievers and the only big difference between them is more video input's/outputs...

9. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

10. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

My brother-in-law purchased a Kenwood model from Best Buy, he was happy with it until I purchased a Yamaha RV-V640 (HTR-5660 is the equivilant). Now he would like to drop kick his Kenwood. I've never personally been a Sony audio fan, car or home. But I love thier video products. I agree with some of the others, throw in Denon, Marantz, H/K, and Onkyo. They all have receivers in your price range. Hopefully some will have the features you need. I have to say though, you won't find any with as many features as the Yamaha for the price. But, if you don't need everything it has to offer, then you may prefer the sound of another receiver.

11. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

12. NicholasTS

I'd like to apologize for anything that I said wrong. When I saw that the receiver was rated "Minimum RMS 85watts X 6" I figured that meant it was the least it would continuously output. If someone could explain to me where I went wrong, it would be greatly appreciated. Or send me links to a place that might explain it as well...

13. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Interesting........... [​IMG]

14. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

OK, So the Yamaha is pulling in front of the Sony on these comments. As for the comparable priced Kenwood at BestBuy, this is going to sound cheesy, but I don't want a big silver eyesore in my cabinet, so it's ruled out.

I really like the Harmon Kardon, but alas, not sold at BB so I would be paying retail, not to mention at BB I can get a 4 year service plan for $10.

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you look online, you can likely find other brands for the same, if not better, price than you can get at BB even with the discount, ie; get more for your money. You can often get no tax, but you will also have to pay shipping in most cases. IMO, check around first, before dropping the $$, because you CAN get good deals on better receivers.

Yamaha has great DSPs, however I have never been a fan of their characteristic sound in the lower models. It is very similar to Sony, where you don't start getting good sound until you move to the ES line. With Yamaha, I feel you have to move to their top 2 or 3 receivers to get the kind of sound I am looking for, and that is getting pretty expensive.

16. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I have listened to the HKAVR225,525, and some Yamaha receivers. I think to get comparable sound quality to the 225 you need to go with the Sony ES series, not any of the DE series. For sound quality you cannot go wrong with the AVR225, or the higher Yamaha models as others pointed out. I don't think the 225 has as many features as the entry level Sony ES models. If you are sure you can get good discount on Yamaha, get a higher model, they sound good too.

17. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Hrm. I looked around online, and I can get the AVR225 for about the same price as the Yamaha or Sony discounted at BB, but no service plan, and outragous shipping (like $30).

Anyone else care to comment on this receiver? It looks like similar stats to the Yamaha but it has Logic 7 (how can you have Logic 7 on a 6.1 rated receiver?) Also I keep reading that its a 5 channel, not 6?

I've heard a few HK's and like them a lot, though not this particular one.

*edit*
    It appears as though my Circuit City here has mislabeled the 225. It's only a 5.1, and if I'm going to upgrade, I'll want to go 6.1 or 7.1.

18. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

19. NicholasTS

that's great! anymore like this would be just wonderful. I hate saying things that aren't right when I think they are. It's very embarassing. You're really helping me prevent further embarassment. Haha, I do work at Best Buy; I should know this stuff. Thanks...

20. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

If you read the Sony STR-DA5ES manual., it says:
    With 8 ohms loads, both channels driven, from 20 - 20,000 Hz, rated 100 Watts per channel minimum RMS power with no more than 0.09% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output............

Note that Sony was referring to its 2 channel rating, they did not provide any numbers for all channels driven.

Of course they do not mean that the amplifier would output 100 Watts minimum all the time. It simply means that within the specified frequency bandwidth and the level of harmonic distortion, the amplifier is capable of at least 100 Watts RMS output. That is, at certain frequency, and/or harmonic distortion level, it could output higher. I do not know how Yamaha specifies theirs, but your statement about "minimum" may not be incorrect, if the minimum output is specified within a certain frequency bandwidth, distortion level, and for a "X" (X=1,2, or more)number of channels driven simultaneously. When taken out of context, it could have been taken the wrong way.