Sony STRDE985 and Universal Remotes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisRC, Jan 5, 2003.

1. ChrisRC

ChrisRC Guest

Hi,

I just bought a Sony 985. Yeah yeah, I know, but I got it for $330 total price. It does the job, and since I am in an apartment, I would not be able to fully appreciate an Onkyo or HK like I really wanted to get.

For some reason, NONE of the Sony receiver codes I have entered in a handfull of universal remotes will control this receiver. The SONY universal remote doesnt even control it. Has anyone had any luck using a universal remote with this receiver, and if so, which brand/model? All I want to be able to do is to select the component, and use the volume/mute/and power control. I would rather not get a programmable, but it looks like its either that, or wait for the URC companies to update their codes on their later model remotes.

Thank You,
    Chris

2. HaryR

HaryR Extra

Hi Chris,
    Sony receiver usually have 2 modes AV1 and AV2, the original one used for your sony remote being AV2.
    Switch to AV1 and let me know what code works at least for the basic controls (power on/off, volume, ..). The usual codes are 0158, 0159, 1058, 1158...
    Just to let you know, Sony receivers are pretty hard to control with Universal remotes.
    I have a sont STR-DA4ES and a Radio shack 2116. I bought a JP-1 cable that allows to link the remote to your PC and then program it to do EXACTLY what you want.
    Go to this link for a forum on the URC/On for all remote.
    http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...e4all/list.cgi
    Hary

3. ChrisRC

ChrisRC Guest

Hi,

I guess I dont understand what you are saying. I have the original remote, and THAT has the ability to change from av1 to av2, but I dont see how that is going to affect the operation of a universal remote? I did change the remote from av2 to av1 to see what you meant, and no, the av1 setting would not control anything on the receiver. Is there a way to get the receiver to listen on AV1 instead of av2? I think that is what you meant, I just cant figure out how to do it, and dont see it in the manual.

Thank You,

ChrisRC

4. HaryR

HaryR Extra

What I'm saying is that the codes that allow the URC remotes to control the receiver only work in AV1 mode. You should not have to do anything else.
    If none of the codes work, I would suggest to call URC /One For All and ask them for other codes.
    The other thing I was saying was that you could also hack your remote to work with this receiver by buying a JP-1 cable that would link it to your PC allowing you to program pretty much anything your original Sony remote can do.
    It comes with a software in XL that you can download of the internet at the JP-1 group at yahoo, for example.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/
    Good luck,
    Hary

5. ChrisRC

ChrisRC Guest

THANKS Hary!
    I read the manual from cover to cover. There are a couple of lines that discuss changing the remote mode on the receiver. I was able to change to AV1 and PRESTO! everything worked on code 1058. Now all I have to do is get my California Audio Labs cd player to work with it, and I'm done. Sony should make this needed change more apparent in the "Troubleshooting" section of the manual or something. Almost everybody uses a universal remote these days.
    Thanks Again!
    -ChrisRC