What's new

Sony STRDE897 Questions (1 Viewer)

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
I just got this receiver and I actualy love it (although not being an audiophile by any means - mabye I just don't know better)...

ANYWAYS, I have some questions about the setup and hooking up a DVD player's digital audio through toslink - is this possible? It looks like only the audio can be hooked up by Digital Coax...

Other 897 owners - don't be shy, let's hear from ya! :)

-Mike

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Well, here's the deal...

I believe you can ONLY use coax for the DVD player...

I would really like to get some others that have this receiver to tell me if they were able to use a toslink cable for the DVD...

Anyone else here have this box?

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I've got the STR-DE897S and it definitely has optical input for DVD. There are four optical inputs labeled DVD, TV/SAT, MD/DAT and SACD/CD (which makes a lot of sense when you can't pass the SACD signal over optical :frowning:) on the back and an optical input on the front for VIDEO3. It says you can assign the digital inputs, but in reality you can only assign them to VIDEO1, VIDEO2 or the input it is labeled as. There are also two digital coax inputs for DVD and TV/SAT.
Love the receiver even though most audiophiles on the internet say the Sony isn't very good. I love it, and I loved the STR-DE1075 that this replaced. The only problem with the STR-DE1075 was it didn't have any component inputs/outputs or Dolby ProLogic II support. When I got my new 57" Sony CRT RPTV I had to have the component inputs on the receiver to handle all my components.
Should also note, I'm currently using coax for the DVD player, but optical does work; I tried it myself, but due to connections with Xbox and PS2 I needed the extra input.

Luis_RC

Auditioning

Looks like there are several versions of this receiver around :frowning: Just got one for my secondary system, and it only has optical inputs for TV/SAT, MD/TAPE, SA-CD/CD, an optical output labeled MD/TAPE, and coaxial inputs for DVD and SA-CD/CD. I used the coaxial for the DVD.

Michael, if any of the optical inputs is free and you're not switching video through the receiver, you could connect the DVD to any of them. I don't see any problem with that.

But, if you're switching video through the receiver the options are much more limited. The best would be to use TV/SAT since it has the corresponding component video inputs. Otherwise the optical input used would have to be reassigned to either VIDEO1 or VIDEO2, as Marvin has said. See page 34 of the manual.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Whoa - different versions!?!? Ack!

I went out and got a coax digital cable - problem solved :)

So, you guys like this unit? I replaced a DE835 and man I can really tell a difference...plus I needed the video switching...

I can now play my XBOX in widescreen on my SONY 61HS10!!! Whoohoo!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.