Sony STRDE1075: DTS-ES & DD EX???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yannick Martin, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Yannick Martin

Yannick Martin Stunt Coordinator

I know that the Sony STRDE1075 is 6.1, but is it DTS-ES and/or DD EX?

Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Waste of money. For about the same price, you can get much better selections from Marantz, Denon, Onkyo...

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I was wondering the same thing. For $392 not a bad buy for 6 full amps. Sony just doesn't give out info. Go to Crutchfield and read their stuff and the Sony site. It's kind of silly to make a 6 amps rcvr w/o 6.1!!!

Audio review owners rate this one ok!

The problem with the other brands is their low power. Sony is 100 per channel. I decided to bite the bullet and get the 3802. But the Sony 3es may be what you need if you have $600.

4. John Garcia

John
    Actually it is the other way around. The Sony DE line is rated @1Khz, NOT 20-20Khz, so it is not actually putting out it's "rated" 100wpc. ANY of the others brands listed in the same price range will run circles around this receiver in both sound quality and power. Stick with the ES line. I helped a friend hook up a 3ES yesterday, and it sounded quite good.

5. Earl Simpson

The word according to Crutchfield???????????????????? But who knows. Also Nobody knows if the 3es is ES discrete also. Probably all the matrix stuff will decode DDEX according to a factory rep on this forum.
    6-Channel Amplifier: This receiver drives 100 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 6 channels of power, utilizing "master in-line" configuration for even performance across all channels.
    Check this price=$381
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/1800nice...strde1075.html
    1075=excellent buy for low end rcvrs=$392
    Features
    Dual 32-Bit Processors: This receiver incorporates two Digital Signal Processors. Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic decoding are handled by a dedicated 32-bit DSP engine of superior performance. The Digital Cinema Sound modes and advanced parameter adjustments use a separate 32-bit DSP. This design gives you greater resolution for sound that is realistic and detailed.
    6-Channel Amplifier: This receiver drives 100 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 6 channels of power, utilizing "master in-line" configuration for even performance across all channels.
    6.1-Channel Decoding: This unit is equipped to decode 6.1-channel signals. In addition to the standard 5.1 channels, some movies now encode a sixth channel, the surround back. The surround back channel improves the realism of sounds panned across the rear soundstage.
    Video Surround Modes:
    Normal Surround: Normal Surround includes the following modes:
    Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Digital sources are played with as many channels as recorded; 2-channel stereo sources are decoded with Dolby Pro Logic
    DTS

6. John Garcia

John
    Well, I stand corrected. I could not find any literature that stated that it was 20-20K, but I believe you Earl.

I still wouldn't buy it though. Published specs are great, but of little use when it comes to how a receiver actually SOUNDS. Trust me, I will never buy a Sony DE receiver again, EVER. I've owned 3, and I thought they were fine also, until I compared them to others... Sound is not very good (cheap DACs maybe?). I have always liked the sound of the ES line, but for the same price or less, one can have just as nice of a receiver. Mine cost much less than my friend's new 3ES, and it would be a close race between the two head to head.

7. Earl Simpson

The 1075 was the first one I considered until I joined two forums and read all the posts. I wound up spending a pile of money instead. My final choices were; Onkyo 898, Denon 3802, Yamaha 2200, Sony DA5es. Got the 3802. But a pile of people at audio review like the sound for the price of the 1075. Is my 3802 worth $400 more?????????????????
    Who knows. I sure don't. I like the Denon alot, but I do not have any high end rcvrs to compare it with. I bought the 3802 because it was the cheapest of the medium high end rcvrs with minimal complaints. To me that was the safest course of action. I have seen the 1075 at CC, but did not listen to it. It looks like it is built well for the price. I have yet to find a person who owns one and is using it to be an unsatisfied customer. But, Hey!!! There is always a first. The HK 520 looks fine also, but costs more. These low end decisions are really tough to make.[​IMG]
    This is the deal= The cheap ones that do EX and ES are low in power. The ones high in power are 5 amps or nothing is said about the EX and ES. That is what drove me up the ladder.

8. Yannick Martin

Yannick Martin Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, I think I will save my money for the Denon 3802 or the new Onkyo 600.