1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony STRDB1080 UK

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Morris, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

I was reading What HiFi magazine (or another UK mag) and this receiver won a comparision test of several receivers. I was curious about the supposed "UK tuning" that this receiver apparently has... anyone know what that means?

Also, it's a 100Wx6 receiver... is there an American equivalent? Is the 2ES or the 4ES pretty much the same?

I was amazed to see the Sony beat out the Marantz and others.

2. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

I don't know for sure about the UK, but here in the US the "STR-DB" series of receivers falls between the ES and standard massmarket lines. I can't speak specifically for the 1080, but in the past, the same (or very similar similar) models have been available in Europe and the US. They have certain compromises from the ES line to keep the cost down but are generally a vast improvement over the mass market models and do incorporate a lot of the ES features. When I bought mine (I'm sure a lot has changed since then), the DB's picked up the aluminum front panel, gold plated jacks, a fancier remote, and what were supposed to be ES front amps and an ES powersupply.

I've owned an STR-DB930 for about 4 years now and it's been a fairly reliable receiver. My only complaint is that the amps are kind of underpowered and a little muddy. But, my current frame of reference for that is the new Yamaha receiver I just bought a couple months ago that was a little over twice the price so a lot of that jusdgement is just perspective.

I can't really comment on the "UK tuning" thing, but I do know that this line of receivers has been far more popular in Europe overall than here in the US. It seems here people are more interested in going for value and getting mass market or going all out and getting an ES with no compromises either way.

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

The STR-DB1080 (QS) is the non-North American equivalent to the STR-DA2ES. It gets stripped of component switching and 2nd room function [​IMG] but does get the remote of the 4ES [​IMG] .
    See this spec sheet.

The UK tuning of Sony stuff is usually replacement of some caps and use of copper screws in various places, etc.

4. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I scanned that magazine too last Sunday, if I remember correctly the 1080 (2ES equivalent) beat out a Yamaha too.