Sony strdb 940 or marantz sr680? Help please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Shaughn, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Shaughn

Shaughn Auditioning

Hello,
    I'm looking to purchase one of these used, they'll cost me the same price ~$180Cdn, but the marantz doesn't have a remote. Which should I go with? It's for my mother to give her surround sound for her dvd's, not a real audiofile...

I appreciate your thoughts or advice.
    Shaughn

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Shaughn- If it's for your Ma, give her the one that looks the best. Both will work fine and physical appearance could be a main factor. Pick the one that you think she'd pick if she had the choice.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 860 will sound MUCH better than the Sony, but without a remote it probably would not be the way to go. You can pick up a used remote that has all the codes for the 860 already though. There are a few RC2000MkIIs on Audiogon right now for ~$75 ea.

4. Shaughn

Shaughn Auditioning

Thanks fellas, I ended up going with the Sony. The guy who sold it to me actually installs home theaters as an occupation for an audio store. He threw in a 90 day warrantee and a second duplicate remote. I'm actually glad, he seemed like a nice guy and at least I know where to find him.

Knowing my mother and the "programming the VCR" factor, I thought it best to go that route.

Thanks again,
    Shaughn