1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony STRDA4ES Calibration question....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSP, Nov 21, 2002.

1. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Could someone please tell me how to individually calibrate the front speakers with my SPL meter and VE Disk? All I can do is a balance control but no individual db setting on front L/R channels. Thanks.

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

That's how you do it with Sonys

3. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Craig is right, turn up the volume and adjust the balance, all Sony receivers are like that.

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I used to own a 555ES and thought that since then Sony might have changed but looks like they haven't. [​IMG]

5. Craig_Kg

What's the big deal?

6. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Craig, the big deal is because speaker placement can affect SPL readings. When my left speaker measures 75dbs on the meter, the right measures 73dbs. With an independant level control for the front speakers, I could have just boosted the right speaker to 75 dbs. The balance control adjustment does get tedious unless I am overlooking a simple thing here.

7. Craig_Kg

But the receiver remembers the balance setting to correct the level difference.

8. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

9. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Tony, I am with you and my understanding is when you tilt the balance it affects the initial settings.
    In any case, how did you calibrate your front speakers?

10. Craig_Kg

Huh? I've found the balance reduces the volume on the side you are biasing away from. I set the balance so the L/R channels are equal and then alter the volume back so both are at my reference and then adjust the other channels to match. I agree that they could have made it easier.

11. TonyTone

Craig--what I should have said was that in my particular setup and environment, I could not get both front L/R channels to balance. I guess I'm approaching the L/R balancing issue the opposite of what you're doing--you balance the channels first, then set master volume to reference; I, OTOH am setting master volume reference on the front L/R before balancing the channels. Upon further review though, your method seems to be the more logical approach.

12. TonyTone

One more thing to add regarding my DA4ES front speaker calibration--at reference volume with balance control centered, left channel reads 74 dB while right channel reads 75 dB. If I adjust the balance control (allows adjustment in 1-db steps IIRC) to compensate, the readings are reversed. IOW--given the listening position and particular placement of the mains, there is no way I can get the fronts to balance, because there is a 1-db difference in separation between the two, and the balance control only allows for 1-db adjustment.
    Granted that most of you folks will probably tell me that a 1-dB difference between both mains won't be noticeable at any given typical listening distance (mine is at 12 ft), it still would be nice to get both to match exactly. Individual L/R level controls for the fronts will accomplish this, since I can bump the left up 1 dB without directly affecting the right. Paint me anal, but hopefully some of you guys can see where I'm coming from...[​IMG]

13. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Tony- Unless your speakers were sold to you by a company that typically exactly matches their speakers, the varible is usually +/- 3dbs. A little experimentation with speaker placement might yield a perfect match since your already very close. Best of luck, Jack

14. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Tony, I have a Sony receiver also and had to adjust the balance one notch to the right because my left speaker was slightly louder than the right. Room issues. Theres a .5db difference but I'm not worried about it. With placement issues, furniture, early reflections, slight manufacturing differences its normal for the output to be slightly different. I would try moving the speakers or even furniture but other than that use the balance to get as close as you can. I'm sure you wont notice the 1db difference. For grins turn up say one of your already level matched rear speakers 1db and see if you can hear a difference. I'm not trying to downplay your 1db difference but I really wouldnt worry about it.

15. TonyTone

Yeah, I'm probably sounding anal about it but I do want to say that the 1-dB difference isn't a big deal to me. I was just putting in my two cents regarding the calibration of the mains, specifically the "issues" I found when doing so with my DA4ES. Again, it would have been nice if the mains could be adjusted independent of each front channel, but like I said, it doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment of my humble HT setup.