What's new

Sony STRDA200ES Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
Looking to replace an old Denon AVR-2700 with the Sony 2000ES. Main reasons for upgrading are to get more HT decoding options in the receiver, 2 sets of 5 channel input to support DVD-A and SACD since I have separate players, pre-outs for the main front speakers, and component switching. The entire HT is worked into a nice 2 channel system so pure audio performance is not critical. I'm just looking for good theater capabilities and nice surround audio.

Any comments on the Sony unit or other suggestions?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
What is your budget? Have you looked at the newer Denon or Yamaha products? I was at CES this year and was not impressed with the Sony digital drive stuff they where pushing. Please let us know what price range you are looking at so that we can help you with suggestions.

Lin Park

Second Unit
I won't say price is no object, but I'm more concerned with the features that I listed above. Namely, 2 sets of 5 channel inputs, pre-outs for the mains, every kind of HT decoding currently available, and component switching - and this doesn't seem easy to obtain right now.

The 1000ES only has one pre-out for the subwoofer (nothing for the mains) so it won't work. I found that none of the Denon or Yamaha equipment have 2 sets of 5 channel inputs.

If you want a hard number, let's say anything under $1k (preferrably new and from an authorized dealer).

You can get a 3000 for that.I just bought a 9000es and there are alot of sony bashers out there.Listen to them for yourself with an open mind,if you dont like em ok.I think the new es stuff is maybe a little weak on amp side but the decoding and features are second to none in the price range.I myself was going to wait for the new HK 7300,but still no dvi inputs.Go demo the 3000 i think you will like it.BTW movies or music?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Lin,

The Denon AVR-5803 has TWO sets of 7.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) inputs for multi-channel formats with full Bass Management(defeatable).

While it is true that not many brands offer dual multi channel analog inputs. And while Yamaha may not offer dual inputs, Denon has at least one that does.

Sony is one of the few companies that opens itself to criticism. There are few people that bash Sony for no reason just because. But I feel that most people that do not like Sony do so because of the product. That does not mean that there are not people who like Sony's products. I myself have a Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD/SACD player and it is a nice peice and is built like a tank. The only gripe I have is about layer changes but other than that it is a good performing dvd player with good audio performance. Sony makes alot of weak products and have for a long time now. There are some things that Sony makes well and is well known for. But for serious ht fanatics and audiophile people Sony does not have what it takes. Think about this, there must be a reason why so many people have a problem with Sony. I doubt so many people can be wrong and only Sony owners are right. While I would not put Sony in the Bose catagory because that would be just plain mean and nasty. IMHO Sony cuts to many corners where it counts. This is done to put the product on the shelve for the highest profit margin with little regard of quality or longevity. Panasonic was never known for the best equipment around, but what they where know for was longevity.

I have a friend that brought his Sony STR-DA3000ES reviever over because he wanted to hear how good his receiver could sound with better speakers. He only had cheapy stock Sony speakers and since he loved the sound I had. He asked to bring his STR-DA3000ES over for some serious listening test. I borowed a freinds pair of SVS 20-39PCi subs and was off to the races. At low volumes the STR-DA3000ES had a nice plensent sound and decent depth and clairity. Once the receiver was turned up it became harsh and hollow. Without the SVS subs the lower frequencies became muddy and thin. This is for the most part the problem I have with Sony recievers in general. Just because others have not run into this doesn't discount my results. I use a pair of Altec Voice Of The Theater speakers in my home theater so this may be the main reason. I might not have that result if I used smaller speakers that did not demand much from a receiver. Granted that the VOTT are very efficent they will how ever isolate weak spots in amps and receivers. Since that weekend of listening test my friend sold his STR-DA3000ES and purchased a Denon AVR-5803 and has been much happier with it. He upgraded his speakers to Paradigm's and has dual SVS subs. If I had a small system that was ment for background music I might buy a cheap Sony reciever and cd player. But for my main system where I do my serious listening and enjoy both music and movies. Sony will not take up many spaces in my rack. This is not to say that Sony will never step up to the plate and make something that grabs my attention. I look at what Sony makes and deciede on a peice by peice basis whether or not I would buy it. While Sony receivers have most of the newest features and surround decoding even in lower price ranges. IMHO the performance is not up to par with most other companies. We all have the right to our opinions so if many of us disagree, then we agree to disagree. The only thing that matters is our love and enjoyment of home theater and building something that we can be happy with.

Good Luck Lin let us know how it goes and if you find what you are looking for. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lin Park

Second Unit
David, the new receiver will only pull HT and surround listening duties and will not be involved at all in the 2 channel system. I listen to very little surround music but it is nice to have as a distraction.

Dave, correct me if I'm wrong here but the Sony 3000 goes for around $750 and the Denon 5803 for around $3500 right? Did your friend honestly believe they'd sound similar? Wouldn't that be like comparing Bose to Paradigms (please don't flame me on this one)? Anyway, thanks for the input and I'll keep looking.

Shiu

Second Unit
Lin, my Sony STR-DA4ES has two sets of multi channel analog inputs. I have recently considered trade it in for a HK model AVR525 or a Denon AVR3803 based on feed back from this forum that those units do better in music. After listening to them carefully and repeatedly, I have to say that the HK and Denon do not sound much different or better than my 4ES. I then considered the HK AVR7200, but could not convince HK to honor warranty in Canada if I buy from a U.S. dealer and Canadian dealers are selling them for more than double the price offered by their U.S. counterparts.

I am now waiting for the Denon AVR3805 and hope that it will offer enough improvement to justify an upgrade. If not, I may just spend the money on a new set of speakers. I am not sure about the X000ES digital series, but the Sony 4ES is really quite good overall. If you can find a 5 or 7ES, I heard that they do better than the 4ES at high listening levels.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I dont intend to flame you Lin. I tired for years to tell him the difference with lower priced product and high end. It took him a while to realize that the lower end peice he had did not do what he wanted. And that by upgrading to a better peice he would be more satisfied. While yes there are major difference in performance, I guess he had to figure this out for himself. I guess it would be more like compairing Bose to McIntosh. IMHO if I was looking for something that was being used for movies only. I still would not pick the Sony STR-DA3000ES. It just did a poor job in my opinion. If someone was set on Sony I would go with the 5 or 7ES over the digital drive models. There amps are still so so but they are still much better at louder volumes than the 3000ES is. One of the great things about this forum is that we can voice our opinions. Then it is up to you to make the choice what is best for you.

Good luck in your search and hope you find something that works out great.

Lin Park

Second Unit
From what I'm reading, most people dislike the digital amps in these new Sony units. So, why not just get one of the 3000ES's and use it is a pre/pro by piping the pre-outs into a nice 7 channel amp?

The HK 7200 looks real nice but it doesn't have the 2 sets of 5.1 inputs (guess I could always come up with a different way to handle those).

Interesting that Sony would be the only ones making an affordable unit with 2 sets of 5.1 inputs. Wonder why that is?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks