Sony STR-V444ES Did I Just Get Screwed?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stan Rich, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Stan Rich

Stan Rich Stunt Coordinator

[email protected],6 mos old according to owner.Arrived safely I had my brother who lives in the same city as seller and works for FedX double box and ship.Hooked it up and "Protector"Shut Down lite comes on...ain't this a bitch...I sold my Pioneer Elite 24TX to buy this Sony and now I'm wondering if I made a mistake??
    Yes I've checked all the connections,and re-checked,cleared the memory,whats left to do?E-mailed the seller hoping he has the receipt and if Sony will honor the 5YR warranty??
    Anyone had similiar problems with their Sony?
    Any and all help is appreciated.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

First, I'd have your brother make a claim with FedEx for the amount of the receiver purchase price. You'll need to provide an invoice or similar to back up the claim. FedEx may/may not take back the damaged receiver. Even if you file a warranty claim, you'll probably need to ship it to a Sony repair center. In my experience, the FedEx claims have to be made within 30 days of the shipment.

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Protector mode can be (and usually is) triggered by faulty speaker wiring. If two wired are touching, either at the receiver end or at the speaker, or any wire is touching the receiver's chassis, then the protector mode will trip in order to protect the amps from the short circuit. Double check your wiring.

If you don't find a wiring fault that clears this up, then, "yes", you did get screwed.

Sony warranties are transferrable, but you will likely need the original receipt. Granted, the V444ES wasn't even sold more than 5 years ago, so logically, the warranty couldn't have possibly expired. Still, you will probably need the receipt.

Your V444ES is not 6 months old. This model was from 2000, and was superceded in 2001 by the DA3ES and DA5ES, which were replaced in 2002 by the DA4ES and DA7ES. Those have just now been replaced by the DA3000ES and DA5000ES. The V444ES is therefore four model years old. You can also bet that if the receiver is faulty now, it was faulty when the seller sold it to you, and that the seller knew quite well that the receiver didn't work when he sold it to you. If you don't have the instruction manual, you can download a PDF of one by going to Sony's documentation website and entering the model number.

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I don't see any evidence stated of the receiver being damaged in shipping so how can you hold fedex liable? Also this might not sound too good but products bought on ebay are sold as is with no implied warranty whatsoever unless the seller says so.
    This receiver is definitely less than 5 years old which qualifies for the ES warranty provided Sony honors it should the receipt not be produced by the seller.

5. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Posted by John Robert in this thread

6. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Definitely check your speaker wiring. My Onkyo shut down on me one time and all I did was move it a little on the shelf. I had one exposed small speaker wire sticking out and touching the case. Once I found that it worked fine.

7. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

As a Fedex employee, I believe that the shipper must make the claim, but I not sure.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer