What's new

Sony STR-V333ES vs. STR-DA333ES vs STR-DB930 (1 Viewer)

EmetW

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone, I've had my eye on buying a used Sony STR-DA333ES. To further confuse me in my receiver quest, I have found that Sony made an STR-V333ES; the features seem almost identical. I have also come across the STR-DB930 which seems to have identical features to the v333 and the da333; what gives? Are they really all just the same receiver? Thanks.

SvenS

Second Unit
The V333ES is identical to the DA333ES but sold in Europe. The DB930 is not in the same league as the higher end ES recievers!

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
FWIW, I've seen some talk on the web that the V series ES units are better than the DA versions. But I've never seen anything objective to back that up.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't bother with the 930. It has plenty of power, but the sound is not as good as the 333. This could be DACs or just bette build quality, but the difference was noticable to me. I don't know if you noticed this, but practically EVERY Sony receiver has similar basic specs...but they do not all perform the same. You can't go by specs alone, you will actually need to find a way to listen to them or something similar to get a decent idea of how they sound.

Shiu

Second Unit
Depends on how you define similar. The specs of the ES receivers and the others are quite different. To start, the ES specs are more "specific".

TomCW

Second Unit
I have a V333ES, I think I got it in 2001 for about $500.
Some people had overheating problems with them, but mine has worked flawlessly. Check out www.audioreview.com for some good (and bad) reviews.
The V333es is a US model, the VA333es is Euro.
Tom

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Despite its reputation, the DB930 isn't all that great. The DD and dts decoding is done using a 24 bit DSP, vs. the 32 bit DSP used in later models, and it has only one additional (32 bit) DSP for soundfield processing and EQ, etc. The ES series all use a total of 3 DSPs. The DB930 is further limited by its crossover, which is fixed at 120 Hz for all channels, and its EQ, whose 'mid' band has a constant Q (width), vs. the ES series, whose 'mid' band has a variable Q. The BS930 has 2-way remote capability, but its remote has a very small display. The 2-way that came with the V444ES has a bigger display, and the one with the V555ES has a big touch-panel LCD.

(The DB940/840 series and later removed a lot of the limitations including the EQ "Q" and the crossover, both of which became adjustable).

Users who are viewing this thread