Sony STR-K4800P

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Pablo.M, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Pablo.M

Pablo.M Auditioning

hi there,
    i recently bought a "home theater in a box" sony HT-4800DP which comes with a STR-K4800P receiver.
    the whole setup and cabling thing is done and ok, however i have some concerns that i wasnt expecting.
    1. i found the volume to be really low. at acceptable listening volume, the volume knob is all the way up close to max (50 out of 70 max)
    2. when i do the "test tone" to check if all the channels are ok, i sometime (not always) get the sound from the front left speaker coming out in the right surround speaker as well.
    is this normal?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    1) That is not unreasonable or uncommon. How much volume you need depends on how well the speakers can fill the space they are in. Small speakers typically don't do a good job of this, so you have to crank the receiver a bit more, and the larger the room, the worse this will be. The only real solutions - a more powerful receiver or better speakers. Thefact is though, that 50 of 70 should not be considered "too high". Many receivers are not linear as you turn them up, so it may not get "loud" until you start to get closer to the point that you are at. Even if it were, at ~70% of it's capability, it should be OK unless it sounds strained. If you were at 90% of volume, I'd say the gear is not sufficient.

2) No that isn't normal, but I don't have an answer for it either.

3. Pablo.M

Pablo.M Auditioning

thank you very much for your reply. now i can be a more relaxed not thinking it is defective or something.
    you're right there. i passed by an electronic store to test out the one they have on demo. it was the same receiver hooked with some bose satellite speaker. i cranked the volume up and the sound was quite low too.
    btw. what do you mean by linear receiver? thx.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Meaning the scale may not be 1 to 1 as you turn it up, increasing more as you get closer to the upper end of the receiver's output.

My receiver exhibits a similar character - my scale is something like -75 to +10, and I normally listen around -25.