What's new

Sony STR-DH820 - headaches!! (1 Viewer)

johnny123

Auditioning
Real Name
John B
My setup details
Sony STR-DH820 with two HDMI's coming in - xbox 360 and my PC (from a GTX 550-ti vid card)
5.1 speakers out - 3 polk in the front, two Bose in the back, and a Polk sub.
HDMI out to TV LG 55LV4400
My main problem is the receiver skips into LPCM randomly and the sound goes out. Doesn't matter if it's coming from the xbox or the PC, though it started mainly with the xbox signal. I linked it directly to a heat issue (though it's in a very open cabinet). I have a separate fan on it at all times and that eliminates the LPCM glitching. I returned it to the geek squad and they had it for 3 weeks and did all the testing for overheating issues and couldn't duplicate the situation so their only explanation was that I had incompatible or bad speakers. I very carefully wired it back up and not long after, it started glitching again. So I tried disconnecting one speaker at a time and that didn't help. it was still glitching off with just one speaker plugged in. I found a forum on here that had people with Samsung TV's and LPCM issues (which is what prompted me to register).
My second and more irritating problem, is that I have to disconnect and reconnect my display settings on my PC every time I open my computer except sometimes if the receiver is on before I wake the computer, the sound will work. Also, sometimes, inexplicably, the sound just won't work no matter what settings I use and how many times i disconnect and reconnect and what I have set as default audio device or not.
Is there some very basic thing I'm missing? I had a friend set up the receiver for me so I have no idea what the settings are beyond the input buttons. when it works, it works great! but it's too much work!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have Onkyo receivers...and I use an "entertainment PC"(Acer Revo) and various Ipad and Droid phones(Droid Razr has mini HDMI).
With ALL OF THOSE, the receiver has to be on first, and in case of the Acer Revo...it "occasionally glitches" unless I turn it off...then restart it AFTER turning on the AVR it is with...
Welcome to HDMI.
What you are probably experiencing is "HDMI handshake problems". When you use your theater, the AVR should always be the first thing turned on. Then your "source", then the TV/display.
If you leave your Xbox or PC on...you get a glitch...
Again, welcome to HDMI.

johnny123

Auditioning
Real Name
John B
I don't think the order of operations can be the cause for the LPCM shutting off the sound.
I had another experiment yesterday. I was running music off the PC and had the TV off. after an hour or so the sound went off. i left it as is for 20-30 minutes then I simply turned on the little fan outside the cabinet and about 10 minutes later the sound kicked back on.
So my question is - can the supposed faulty/incompatible speakers be causing overheating and triggering the LPCM?
I really want to just call this thing faulty and get it replaced.

johnny123

Auditioning
Real Name
John B
Second attempt - can the supposed bad speakers cause an overheating situation that the geek squad tech couldn't duplicate?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The order of start-up can definitely cause HDMI problems; but once HDMI is working that's not an issue.
Heat can definitely cause an HDMI dropout problem. But I've never heard of faulty speakers being the issue. Certainly if they were a lower impedance than the receiver was designed for, that could be the cause. You didn't list the speaker models, so I couldn't check.
Also, modern receivers don't like being in a confine space, so if you have it in a cabinet, try pulling it out or adding a fan.

johnny123

Auditioning
Real Name
John B
Second attempt - can the supposed bad speakers cause an overheating situation that the geek squad tech couldn't duplicate?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is a way to rule the speakers out. Digital vs analog is irrelevant, so...
Run analog into the Sony, use DPL...and if it still shuts off, it is a speaker/heat issue.
The speakers are irrelevant to the incoming signal.
Or, you could get the AVR out of the cabinet and sit it on the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks