What's new

Sony STR-DH820/Denon avr 1912 with Diamond 10.1 Speakers: Compatablitiy? (1 Viewer)

avorbust

Auditioning
Real Name
Nat
Hello there,
After a long, headache inducing research, I finally narrowed down a speaker/receiver setup which I feel meets my needs and budget. I was thinking about getting The Panasonic ST50 Plasma, and I needed a surround sound setup that will compliment it. I have considered surround sound speaker packages, but while there were good ones out there, some of them came with compromises in terms of achieving best sound for music. So I finally decided to put together my own setup. Below is my chosen front speaker/amp combo. I'm going to add the rear and sub at a later time, this is what I can afford now.
WHARFEDAL DIAMOND 10.1 (FR/FL Speaker)............................... £150
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.CS (Center Speaker)..........................£120
Sony STR-DH820 OR Denon AVR - 1912 (Receiver).......................£220/£250
Total …..........................................................................£490 or £520 (with Denon)
I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a feed back on the pros and cons of the combo above, or suggest alternatives, within the budget. Another thing I'm not sure of, is the compatibility between the speaker/receiver combo, in terms of 'warm'...whats the opposite...and 'thin'?!?!?! I think the Diamond 10.1 speaker is warm but not sure about the Sony STR-DH820 and Denon 1912.
Which is the best choice out of the two receivers in terms of compatibility with the Diamond 10.1 as well as quality?
My priories in terms of what I want from the setup is mostly excellent sound quality. Followed by 5.1 or preferably 7.1 channels, true HD audio, and USB connectivity (not very important). I'll look forward to your responses.
Thank you

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no way, personally, I'd pick a Sony or anything. I'd almost rather have a Sherwood(and I'd never buy a Sherwood).
If you are buying different sized speakers....get the Denon. I'm surprised though that Onkyo and HK aren't on your radar.
And I'm jealous. We can't get Wharfedale here.

avorbust

Auditioning
Real Name
Nat
Thx for the quick reply mate.
The onkyo was on my list at some point, and it was out specked by the sony (ipod connectivity) and again by the Denon 1912, for the price I was prepared to pay that is. I did hear bad things about sony as an av receiver, but someone else in another forum suggested that the sony were very compatible with the diamond and Denon wasnt necessarily so.
But someone else suggested Denon 1912 which wasn't on my consideration at first, and now is growing to be the likely route im gonna end up taking, as its full of spec for the money. And it has airplay, which when i began this search didnt even cross my mind but now is looking like a really attractive addition to have.
Question for you mate is that as far as you know, is there any issue in terms of using the Denon 1912 with the diamonds.
Shame about Wharfdale not being available in the US, I guess your fond of them as well, the diamonds in particular do get a lot of glowing reviews and are critically acclaimed. Its funny in all my reading I hadnt once come across the HK, I'll do a quick read, do they have a good book shelf ones equivalent to the Diamond 9.1 or 10.1?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HK is Harman Kardon...as in AVR...
These are more than up to the task of "good clean power"...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harman-Kardon-AVR-460-Channel-Receiver/dp/B0035LGYB0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342823593&sr=8-4

avorbust

Auditioning
Real Name
Nat
well at the moment even the £250 for the receiver alone is quite a stretch for me, if you heard what I had originally planed to spend for the whole setup you would be laughing. So yeah £500 for the whole thing is just about how much im prepared to spend give or take.
Im in a studio flat, so i think it would be an over kill to get that much of power, which I will probably wont have the need to use. More interested in clarity and quality at a medium volume.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are less expensive versions...that is just the one I linked...
Even the 160 is just shy of 370(have no idea how the model numbers work over there...they are different than the US).
But I'd pick the Denon over the Sony.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
schan1269 said:
There is no way, personally, I'd pick a Sony or anything. I'd almost rather have a Sherwood(and I'd never buy a Sherwood).
If you are buying different sized speakers....get the Denon. I'm surprised though that Onkyo and HK aren't on your radar.
And I'm jealous. We can't get Wharfedale here.
You can get Wharfedale here. http://www.amazon.com/Wharfedale-Diamond-Blackwood-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B003B8U9TU/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1342884653&sr=1-1&keywords=wharfedale
And I agree, Sony make nice displays and dvd'bluray players but get the Denon (or anything else) over the Sony receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I noticed Amazon has Wharfedale in the states now. But, I wonder do they "really have them" or are they listing them and having to bring them over and it takes 3-6 weeks?
If they really have them on this side of the pond...cool.

avorbust

Auditioning
Real Name
Nat
I dont have an answer for your question Schan1269, but I guess the sure way to find out is by checking there delivery date, after you specify your location. I dont know if its going to be too late to cancel at that point, but worth checking, if you are interested in one that is.
As for my setup, you have echoed what I've read from other forums, and you are right that sony receivers have a bad rap. Im very much gravitating toward the denon 1912. As the original place I had planed to buy it from have run out of stock, im looking for other refurbished or ex-display Denon vendors.
Anyways I'll report back when I have my setup put together, I can't wait!!!. I hope all the hassle is going to be worth it.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
This sounds like it might be your first "real" home theater system? If so the move from TV speakers or even budget surround sound is night and day to your setup.
We promise it will all be worth it when it is set up. Though I think I may speak for more than myself here by saying that the "Hassle" of researching, deliberating and talking to others both on forums and IRL is at least half the fun of getting a home theater...

avorbust

Auditioning
Real Name
Nat
NickSI said:
This sounds like it might be your first "real" home theater system? If so the move from TV speakers or even budget surround sound is night and day to your setup.
We promise it will all be worth it when it is set up. Though I think I may speak for more than myself here by saying that the "Hassle" of researching, deliberating and talking to others both on forums and IRL is at least half the fun of getting a home theater...
You are right Nick, its my first, the closest thing I had to a surround sound was a 32" Phillips TV, with a stereo ''simulated' surround sound speaker. So yeah as you said anything is going to sound better compared to that.
I heard a lot of good things about the diamond 10.1 and the 9.1 which preceded it. So they are supposed to be the best for the money. I just gave richer sound a call about the speakers and they are now £20 cheaper at £130.
Yes it was fun at the beginning, so I can see the fun side of it. But I was researching about all parts of the setup, receiver, speaker, and TV, plus I have only just moved to a new place so im looking for furnitures too, so I guess it all got a bit too much. Anyways thanks for the reassurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks