What's new

Sony str-dg600 (1 Viewer)

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden
Got this receiver from a buddy of mines thats moving. just wondering if anybody has experience using this receiver. if so, what can i do to maximize my experience with it. ( types of video/audio cables i should use, settings i should play with ect. )

thanks 4 taking the time to read my thread. any suggestions is appreciated.

Aloha.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Joe,

Take some time to learn where to place the speakers. Check out Dolby.com or THX.com for recommendations. Then get an SPL meter from Radio Shack and use it to balance the speakers (use the internal test tones).

You can get Avia II or Digital Video Essentials DVD to learn more and help you setup the sound.

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden
and what the good and bad of using s-video cables. i've noticed my tv and reciever/dvd player has these s-video connections. my receiver and dvd player also has optical connections on it. should i use these connections to get the best out of my equipment? thanks again.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Optical is for Audio. Connect your DVD to the Sony for 5.1 surround sound.

S-Video is for video. Use this if you do not have Component (red, green, blue).

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden
i've connected s-video cables from my dvd player to receiver and then on to the tv. should i use the optical connections over rca? sorry for all the noobie questions. just wanna have a great sounding home system like i know ya'll must have.

thanks and aloha.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
In case you didn't get one you can download the DG600 manual here: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRDG600_operation.pdf

Also, a quick look shows that your receiver has component video inputs/output as well as s-video and composite I/O. You didn't say if your TV and any of your sources have component video outputs.

If they do, I'd use those connections for the best video performance. If only some of your sources have component video output, you'll have to connect the DG600 to the TV with both s-video and component video cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hickskeith007
Recent bookmarks