What's new

Sony STR-DE998 v. H/K AVR 635 v. Denon AVR-3805 (1 Viewer)

Alexander-G

Agent
My mother in-law is getting a home theater installed in her country house basement and I am helping with the equipment.

The tv guy who is putting everything in only deals with Sony receivers. If I were doing this myself, I would probably go for a H/K AVR 635 or Denon AVR-380 based on the superlavtive reviews I've read (and my happiness with my own H/K AVR 320). The original proposal was for a Sony HTIB Dream System connected to separate inwall speakers. I nixed that and said we needed to go with separates, so the proposal is now for a Sony STR-DE998 though, which has also gotten good reviews but not quite as glowing as the H/K or Denon.

So here's my question:

The path of least resistance is definitely the Sony. Is that good enough, or should I really start pushing for something else? I don't want to make a fuss unless there a big differences here. The main thing we care about are movies, not music.

Many thanks in advance!

Alex

Alexander-G

Agent
Thanks for the advice! Can I ask if you have experience with that particular Sony model, or is the advice based more on the general superiority of these other brands and the facts that they are more popular among audiophiles?

If I am going to make this case, I am definitely going to ruffle some feathers and my ass will be on the line. E.g. - if the Sony breaks down or has issues I can blame the other guy, but less so if we get the one I push for.

Notwithstanding, I am totally prepared to push for the H/K or Denon if that's the right call, but in that case I need to come in with as much ammunition as possible.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Feature wise Sony is right up there usually, but performance wise, they just seem to come up a bit short, IMO. I don't have experience with that particular model, but I have owned a few Sonys in my time and I can honestly say that nothing in the DE line has ever been impressive. If you were to step up to the ES line, you might have a more comparable receiver to the others mentioned, but even then I'd still be more likely to pick H/K or Denon over Sony. (Currently a Marantz owner :) )

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
HK and Denon both use a high current amplifier design when compared to the sony's and the features on either the HK or Denon are definitley going to b emore user friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks