What's new

Sony STR-DE995 Surround Problem. (1 Viewer)

Bill>B

Auditioning
I'm having problems with my brand new Sony receiver (STR-DE995).
I have 2 front, 2 rear, 1 center & a subwoofer connected to the receiver. After using the set-up menu and the "test tone" button on the remote, all speakers respond accordingly. But during ALL DVD playback everything is forced into the front speakers. I have tried all audio settings on the discs. The DVD player is connected like this: OUT Front (l/r) to FRONT (l/r) MULTI CH IN 2. OUT SURRUND (l/r) to SURROUND (l/r) MULTI CH IN 2. Center & Sub OUT to Center & Sub in on MULTI CH 2. I have followed the set-up procedure in the manual and the tests perform correctly, why does it not play DVD's properly? Any thoughts ?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Just for grins.. Does it work with a Digital Connection?

Multi-channel analog, can be very confusing on DVD players and receivers.

Bill>B

Auditioning
I don't have a digital cable, but that was my next try. Is it possible I need to run the component video through the receiver to make it work. Right now the video is connected directly to the TV.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator

You can leave the component connection to the TV. That does not affect your audio.

Those multi channel connections you are using would typically be used for Hi-Rez music (SACD or DVD-Audio) not for watching DVD Movies, if I am thinking correctly about this. Get yourself an optical or digital coax cable and run it from your DVD player to your receivers DVD input for this cable type, this should solve your movie woes.

Another solution for you possibly would be to select the 5.1 input on your Sony receiver. The optical cable will in my opinion sound better for movies though.

MichaelStephens

Auditioning
When you have selected dvd as your source on your receiver, what have you selected as your audio type on your receiver? If you use the factory default it is stereo. For the audio on a dvd to play in the audio mode you select on the disc you need to set your receiver to AFD (Audio Field Detect) or comparable mode after you choose the source. Your reciever will then hold this setting until you change it.

Bill>B

Auditioning
Well, I hooked up an optical cable & it still does the same thing. Even when I select AFD on the receiver, it automatically picks the front speakers. The DVD player I'm running is a Toshiba SD-4205. It's a couple years old, could this be the problem ?

RyanSoares

Stunt Coordinator
ok bill disconnect all that multi channel stuff you got hooked up.... connect the optical out from your dvd to the optical in on your sony receiver (Tv/sat or cd/sacd in)
make sure in your dvd players setup menu you have dolby digital enabled not pcm...... now when you start the movie change the receiver's input to which ever optical input you used (tv/sat or cd/sacd) then there should be a tiny "input mode" button under the volume knob.. push that untill it says "opt in" if you don't change that it will pick up the inputs's (tv/sat or cd/sacd) analog connection if any....... when the dvd starts now you should see dolby digital 2/0 flash across your receivers scren for the dvd's opening and when the movie actually starts it will change to dolby digitla 3/2/1..... hope this helps

Richard Driskill

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan got it right. (audio type setup -in- the DVD player) Because you tried the AFD, that tells you the sound field is in stereo from the DVD player going into the receiver.

Why you would choose the independent channel hook-up lines is beyond me. That's for if a component doesn't have a fiber optic or digital coax output.

The only thing different I would change (from all the other guy's posts) would be to use a digital coaxial cable. On the 995 there is no fiber optic connection for the DVD input, just digital coaxial. (Why they did this, I don't have a clue.) You can hook a fiber optic cable up to CD/SACD (or others), but that will make things -strange- in that there is a 'DVD' indicator on your receiver and your remote, and programming the remote would get weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.