What's new

Sony STR-DE945 and Paradigm Studio (1 Viewer)

I am looking to upgrade my fronts and center to either the Studio 40s or 60s with the CC. My receiver is rated at 110x5. Is this enough power to drive the Studio 60s?

I will eventually want a separate amp to drive the 5 channels but its too expensive at this point.

Thanks

james e m

Second Unit
I would not do it! Sony lies about their power ratings in the non ES lines and my old Sony receiver actually damaged a couple of my Paradigm Monitor speakers because it under powered them. I upgraded my receiver to a Sony 5ES (which has much more capable amps) an I upgraded to the Studio series all around, including 2 Studio 100s. I have had the 100s sitting in another room since November for fear of doing damage to them by under powering them.
James

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is that some kind of joke? If you really believe that receiver puts out 110wpc, I have a bridge to sell you.

If you have the money to afford Studios, I strongly suggest you upgrade to a better receiver. Even with an external amp, the Sony DE line has average sound quality at best. At the very least, look into an ES receiver.

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, not to rain on your parade or anything, but I wouldn't bother with that receiver at all. I've run 60's with a Denon 3802, and just this past week I bought a Rotel RB-991 (200w x 2) because I thought the Denon was lacking. Try and strike a better balance of amplification and speakers, even if it means stepping down a notch in the speaker category.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks