Sony STR-DE925 Replacement, any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Thompson, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson Auditioning

I have been using a DE925 for about four years and I had a cascade failure in it. I took it in for service on Dec 8 and I STILL DON'T HAVE IT BACK! [​IMG] I am on a limited budget, but I'm getting to the point where it may not be repairable, so I am starting to look at replacing it. If I can, I'd like to go up to 6.1 decoding on DTS and DD. I only have one digital source (DVD) and it is optical, and I am looking for at least 100 X 5 (or 6.) I don't want to go cheap, but I really need to. I paid $599 for the 925, can I go any cheaper and still get what I need?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Michael,

The Denon 2802 is a good choice at about$500(online). It offers Pro-LogicII, DTS, DTS-ES Discreet and DD EX matrix. It is 90watts X 6 and that should be plenty of power. Others to look at are the new ONKYO 600(comes out in April though). I'm sure others will jump in with some good choices. Good luck.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I feel sorry for you that you spent that much on a Sony DE reciever, but the bright side is, you will now be able to put it towards something that will be much nicer.

Assuming a similar budget, The 2802 would be a good choice. A step down and for a little less, the 1802 would be fine also.

I would also give the Marantz SR6200 a listen. It MSRPs for around $699, but I picked mine up for $599 locally, and it can be had for a bit less online. The 5200 has nearly all the features with lower wattage and is about $100 less.

Also take a look around for Onkyo - TX-DS494 or 595 - should still be able to find them, replacement models out in near future, or wait for the new models.

All of these receivers will be a step up from the 925 in terms of power, processing, sound and features.

4. Howard Halligan

If its quality sound you want you can not beat the Outlaw 1050 at $499. Its one of 9 Stereophile Guide to Home Theater recomended A/V receivers. The other 8 range in price from $2400 to 4898. Available online from outlawaudio.com. You can save $50 if you'll accept an opened box - they are fully guaranted returns - some people don't like the plain apperance or lack of DPLII but the sound quality is really first class. I have two I bought before the price drop and they impress everyone who hears them.