Sony STR-DE895/S or Pioneer VSX-D812/S??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chad_B, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Chad_B

Chad_B Extra

I have Infinity Alpha 20 fronts. Infinity Alpha center and Paradigm PS1000 sub. I would really like to get a silver receiver to match other componets. Which is better? Which one has more power and best overall "fit" for my speakers? Or is there another silver receiver that I should consider for the same price range?

Or just say screw it and go the black receiver route? I really want to match...just call me stubborn!!! Whatcha all think? Best bang for my buck in the price range of DE895 or VSK912??

One last thing. This will be for about 80% HT use and 20% music use.

Thanks

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

In that price range ($300-400), I'd have a look at harman/kardon. The new models are about half silver, since that's something you're looking for.

3. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

Do not get the Sony DE895, it's not what you are looking for to power the speakers you have. The receiver is really underpowered, and is not really 110 per channel. With the Sony Floor Standing speakers i have, i usually have to have it at 63 out of 74 on the volume for it to sound really good

4. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Ever since I got my Pio 912 I always thought it was the best bang-for-your-buck receiver. I paid $300 for it like 4 months ago at 6ave.com and do not regret it.

Both the Sony and Pioneer aren't going to put out whatever watts the package says. There are few receivers that do because of the way the different companies measure output.

5. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

I'd stay away from the Sony DE as well... The Pio isn't that much better I don't think but for the price level and features it apparently has it might not be bad. I'd say it would be more reliable and have better overall build quality than the Sony DE though...

That said, I'd second Angelo's recommendation to take a look at H/K receivers and see what of theirs falls in your price range.

As Harold alluded to, don't be fooled by the wattage ratings. H/Ks in the same price range will appear to have much lower power output (from the ratings), but truth be told the H/Ks will have around the same power output, if not more than the Sony DE and non-Elite Pioneer models in similar price range.

6. Chad_B

Chad_B Extra

Thanks everyone...for the help.

I went last night to check out the H/K 230 at Circuit City. They look alright. Couldn't get a good feel for power/sound because...as usual, CC's HT set up was crap. All the speakers were on the same wall. No wonder why Best Buy is killing them. Anyways, the H/K looked cool. I liked the blue dial, although it seemed kind of "shaky". Overall appearance I like the look of the Pioneer 812/912 over the H/K. But inside is what matters, right?

I can get the pioneer 812 for $240 and the cheepest I have seen the H/K 230 is for $380. Is the extra $140 for it?

Also does the pioneer 912 come in silver? Have yet to see one.

7. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Chad: you might still be able to get your hands on a h/k 225. You might prefer the cosmetics of that piece compared with the 230.

8. Chad_B

Chad_B Extra

actually i think i like the looks of the 230 over the 225