Sony STR-DE885?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Dhaus, Jul 20, 2002.

1. David Dhaus

David Dhaus Agent

I've been looking at the Onkyo HT-S650 HTIB as I have a low budget for home theater. My neighbor just told me he can get a VERY good deal on the Sony STR-DE885 receiver, if I were interested. (He is military and can get to the px - $220) Is one "better" than the other? Sony products seem to get a bad rap here (and elsewhere), so I haven't even considered them. Thanks Dhaus

2. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

You will probably get many bad replies about the Sony DE's. I have one and really like it. I've even had an HK, Denon, etc. You can really tweak them and have alot of control over the processing. If you are new to HT go with the Sony. These are my opinions- for that price try it out

3. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

See if he can get a deal on the DB series of Sony receivers. They are a much better receiver. At least this is what I have heard as I have never owned a Sony reciever

Sony seems to be the only company that offers superior bass management in their recievers.