What's new

Sony STR-DE885 component bandwidth #'s, any other silver units? (1 Viewer)

Dan_Too

Auditioning
First dont laugh.

I have read on here how this receiver is not up to the standard of other recievers in the price range. So I went after the Yamaha 5550 for $199 at Frys but sold out fast. Then I went after a refurbished Onkyo SR600 for $320 shipped but it went out of stock before I took the plunge.

All this was for nothing because the GF wants a silver one to match the Wega we have. So I have decided to get the Sony 885 that no one likes. It will look good, and ease the remote control problem even if it doesn't sound great.... (sad)

I want the ability to use the component switching for my DVD player and XBox, but I cant find the bandwidth on this unit. crutchfield.com says:

Component Video Bandwidth N/A

At sonystyle.com I couldn't find anything, or anywhere on google, or in this forum for that matter.

So does anyone know the bandwidth, I know I want over 30MHz in case we go HDTV with it.

Cheers.

Also please talk me out of getting this receiver if needed ;) . Sorry I had to login as a newbie because I cant get in with my old account.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I have no idea on Sony's bandwidth but you might want to take a look at the Panasonic 100 which also comes in silver & can be had for under $250 & it adds DTS ES over the Sony. If I remember right, there was some discussion over at the AVS Forum on the Panasonic's bandwidth & they were saying that it had no video loss when routing HDTV signals through it. Try a search on it over there. Also try sending Critchfield an email asking what the bandwidth is because they carry the Sony & the Panasonic receivers & they usually get back pretty quick with the answers. They can get the info a lot quicker for you than if you tried calling Sony or Panasonic yourself. Also try a search for the Panasonic on this board it has a lot of positive reviews & Sound & Vision Mag. also had nothing but good this to say about it & as far as I'm concerned it's a lot better than any of the Sony DE models. Hope this helps you out. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks