Sony STR-DE875 setup help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Dawson, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Eric Dawson

Eric Dawson Auditioning

Please help in setting up a SONY STR-DE875 before it goes into PROTECT MODE!! All my revious receivers have allowed the independant selection of front and rear speaker channels with the turn of a dial or the pushing of buttons. This allowed the use of either the fronts, the rears, or both using any component (particularly FM, and CD). Is this possible with this model? I have been through the manual five times, and Sonys help line was less than helpful. One would think the answer lyies in the surround set up options but I am beginning to think this too much to ask. The closest I have gotten is a 2-channel swap mode, which swaps the output from front to rear (until you touch ANY buttons on the receiver or remote).For all the new technology, I am serouslly contemplating hooking up my old Teac AV-30XXX, which lacks 75% of this sonys surround features, but has two nice buttons for speakers A & B. ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Speaker A&B are NOT front and rear, but an "either-and-or" meaning you can usually select A or B or A and B. This is not the same thing as front main speakers vs surround speakers. Do you have two sets of speakers in two different rooms or are they all being used as front/surround in the same room? If this is the case, there is typically not a way to use one or the other set.
    I can't find a good image, or a rear view of the 875, but it looked like it had an A-B selector on the front panel. If you have the rear speakers hooked to the surround outputs, using the A-B selector switch will not give you sound from the primary speakers. You will have to hook either another pair of speakers (or your second set) to the "B" terminals of the receiver to do this. However, you will lose proper 5.1 playback if you do not have speakers connected to the surround outputs.
    Welcome to the forum [​IMG]

3. Eric Dawson

Eric Dawson Auditioning

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately the only speaker-related control anywhere is a speaker button which when selected cuts power to all channels. I am currently using the rear JBL bookshelf speakers as surrounds, in conjunction with Yamaha fronts ,and a Sony center (sub soon to follow). The rear surrounds are operating properly when in surround mode. So since this unit lacks a B speaker connect (only front, center, and surround)I am limited to listening to the rear speakers only when in surround mode? Hope I'm making sense. I recall being able to do both with my previous Teac unit.

Thanks again.

4. John Garcia

John
    Well from the sound of it, this receiver does not have this capability.

The 975 has dual room/dual source capability, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are after, and your second set of speakers would also need amplification (powered speakers or another amp), but it is a thought.

Explain the situation where you want to listen to the rears only, and mabye with a better understanding, I can recommend something else?

5. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

6. Eric Dawson

Eric Dawson Auditioning

Sorry...I was joking about resolving this before the unit DOES go into protect mode, which has happened to my previous Sony. In any case, all I am trying to do is operate the front speakers and rear surround speakers simultaneouslly irregardless of the audio source. The rear speakers operate OK in 5.1 mode, but my previous Teac receiver allowed the operation of A, B, and A&B speakers (in this case front, rear, or front and rear)with any audio/video source, while still allowing for true surround capability. I just find it difficult to comprehend that this is not possible with a modern AV receiver.

7. John Garcia

John
    On my receiver this function is called "6ch stereo", where the sound is distributed to all of the speakers (5 or 6). Others I've seen have basically the same thing called "all channel stereo" or something similar, however the x75 series of Sony did not have this feature to the best of my knowledge.

*edit - I know you don't want to hear this, but what you may want to look into is a new receiver. Look for ones with DPLII (Dolby Pro Logic II), CS5.1 (Circle Surround). Nearly all of the receivers that are slightly newer than Sony's x75 series have one or more of this type of processing. Take a look at Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha.