What's new

Sony STR-DE845 Reciever making clicking noises (1 Viewer)

MikeCin

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Nope, Non of the ends of the speaker wires is touching each other, I made it thin enough for them to fit on the holes of the speaker connection on the back, That way non of the wires sticks out, Anyways, I havent heard it clicking for sometime, But how can you be so sure that it could be the grounding within the receiver itself?, And besides, I really can't aford purchasing another receiver due to being unemployed.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
It's not that I have any certainty that internal grounding is the problem, it's that it is a possibility and it requires no particular expertise to correct.

Several electronic circuits in the receiver rely on the metal chassis for their ground connections. The circuit board mounting screws provide this ground by pressing the board down on the frame. If they work loose or become corroded then the circuits do not work correctly and this has been known to cause the relay clicking problem in the past on various receivers.

MikeCin

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Well, My receiver is still clicking, I opened it up one time to have a look inside, But I have no idea on what to look for inside the receiver, Whats this about the internal grounding?, Do you mean every single screw on the board itself or, there some special screw there somewhere that I'm not aware of?

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Mike --
As someone said earlier, it may just be time to bite the bullet and get a new receiver.
Consider it a lesson learned on the build quality of the lower-to-mid range Sonys.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I was having the same problem as you and although the clicking would go away for certain periods of time, it ALWAYS returned.
I went ahead and just decided it was time for a new reciever, and went with the Pioneer VSX-1015TX.
I paid basically the same as what I paid for my Sony DB840 three years ago (~$400) and the Pioneer is better then that Sony in every possible way. It has the Pioneer MCACC auto-calibration (which is quite nice) and it is THX-certified.
What I would recommend is do some research and find yourself a new receiver. Avoid Sony -- check out Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, or Onkyo.

MikeCin

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Well, Unfortunately, I cannot aford a new receiver since I'm still unemployed, The only way to make the rear channels come back is to hit the top of the receiver til the sounds for them come back.

cgilson33

Auditioning
Real Name
Casey
i was having the same issues and was wondering if anyone ever found a solution? Did anyone else try touching up the solder? did that work? what about replacing the relays?

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Ironic that I found this ancient thread about the same time as Casey. I've been using a Sony DB930 for years with no problems whatsoever. Now...no rear channels at all, and the center channel comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. I am disappointed beyond consolation. There have some interesting posts in this thread regarding relays, solder joints, and grounds.
Old posters, new posters! Is this repairable, or am I saddled with an unaffordable option and an inferior product. (Not to say that all channels operating makes it inferior. It's just that the 930 is so cool).

gerritv

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerrit
Hi Greg,

Yes there is hope, just like fixing a Ferrari really. It just takes some patience and puzzling :)

The bottom cover comes off easily. Test for a while with the receiver upside down, tap the board lightly with the plastic end of a screw driver. If the sound comes in and out then you have reproduced the problem.

Now disconnect the power cord. Using a good/strong magnifying glass look at the solder joints on the board. If you see a second concentric circle inside the outer one then you have a cracked joint. On my board I re-soldered about 15 of these, finally got the one that caused the problem.

Reconnect the power cord, turn on receiver and gently tap again in same areas as before. If the sound stays on, then you got it. If still clicking look more closely at the joints. Be gentle of course, banging the board will create new problems :).

In my case the L and R main speakers would cut off, center would work. My specific issues was in about the center of the main board.

I previously fixed cracked joints on the power switch as well. This receiver works well for me. Even with HDMI on my display I have no desire to spend $ on a new receiver so I fix as needed.

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
gerritv said:
Hi Greg,
Yes there is hope, just like fixing a Ferrari really. It just takes some patience and puzzling. ... Be gentle of course, banging the board will create new problems :).
So from what I understand from HTF this is your first post and you used it to answer my query. I am eternally indebted. I have a couple days off next week and will attempt your suggestions. I'm no expert with a solder iron so if I see myself getting in too deep I'll call in the pro at Southwest Electronics (Danville, IN). Thanks again for your thoughtful response.

gerritv

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerrit
Hi

I got enough hints from earlier posts in this thread to fix mine so I figured the least I could do is help someone else :)

Use a small tipped iron, thin solder. Press the tip onto the solder just away from the chip or wire. This ensures that you are getting heat onto the copper foil of the board as well. Feed a bit of solder in, pull tip away. Check for solder bridges between pins with the magnifying glass when you are done, fix any bridges that you created. For some reason the board is prone to these bridges as well.

I think it is worth investing in a decent solder iron for this (I had one from the 70's!) as it pales in comparison to replacement or repair cost of the receiver.

sharke76

Auditioning
Real Name
clay
dear mikecin...
i have had this reciever for many years str-de845 just started making the clicking noisei took it all apart and found it is a faulty blue relay with the right amount of pressure applied it will stop and work like it did i know this is a 5.1 so i got a 7.1 surround sound reciever it makes it with no speakers attached at all i just plug it in and it clicks if you apply pressure to the blue relay next to plug in with all black wires and the last wire is red this connector is to the mother board it becomes week needs replaced but i'd rather by a new one that is betterhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/732386/width/525/height/700

Felipe Sarabia

Auditioning
Real Name
felipe sarabia
hi i had the same problem with my volume motor on my 845 so i bought another for parts because of this then a few weeks ago the replacement started doing this also so i looked for a replacement well good luck finding anything new so i decided to take a look at the old one i had with my parts and noticed the 4 board contact pins were really wiggly and the solder contact points were broke so i took the receiver apart and sure enough so were those also so i fixed the solder which is kinda small but fixable and been perfect since hope this helps i have had my 845 since i was 15 and love this thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks