What's new

Sony STR-DE845 Problem (1 Viewer)

BryanH

Auditioning
Hi,
I have a Sony STR-DE845 receiver for my home theater setup. I know it's a little old, but it's all I have money for right now. The thing that is bothering me is the digital inputs. I recently got digital cable, and I would like to enjoy the digital audio of the digital channels. My Cable box only has a coaxial digital audio output and the only coaxial digital input on the receiver is for the DVD/LD. Is there any way around this? The only other digital inputs are the optical ones which of course has on for TV/SAT, but that doesn't help when your cable box only has a coaxial digital output. Can anyone think of a way to solve this? Thanks.

-Bryan

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Just connect the cable box to the coax and remember that the labels on the receiver are now incorrect, I guess.

I did this for my buddy and he's OK with it.

I wonder if there's an adapter?

BryanH

Auditioning
But what do I connect my DVD player to now? I was hopoing that the coax dig. in port was not ONLY for the DVD? Can anyone think of a way around this so I can still have my DVD attached too? Thanks.

-Bryan

AaronJB

Second Unit
Is there an optical digital input on the reciever so you could hook an optical cable from the DVD to the reciever and a coax digital cable from the cable box to the reciever?

BryanH

Auditioning
Yeah, there's an optical input for DVD/LD, but the only thing that I wonder about is if the receiver treats the dig. coax input as an input for ALL of the functions (DVD, CD, TV/STA, etc.) or just one for the DVD? I'm not sure if there is a setting for that, I lost the instruction manual and can't find one online. Does anyone have any info on this? I have to find my optical cable (I lost it in my move to my apartment 2 weeks ago) or I'm just gonna buy one at radio shack. Any additional info is appreciated. Thanks.

-Bryan

AaronJB

Second Unit
I'm not sure how the back of your Sony reciever looks & how it functions, but on my reciever, the three digital optical inputs are labeled as something specific (CD/TV/DVD), but I have, for example, my XBOX hooked into the TV one. There's also a few analog inputs that correspond to the same things (TV/VCR/DVD). If I want to use the analog or digital "TV" connections, there's a button to switch between each.

I know I'm explaining this not particularly well (I'm just not that bright some days), but what I'm trying to say is, if you have an optical and coaxial cable input, I would think that you could plug the cable into coax and the DVD in with digital optical and both would run.

Maybe this would work, maybe another HTF person would have a different suggestion (or can explain it better than I just did). The other thing you could do is ask one of Sony's online help people at their website. I asked them a digital camera ? once and they were quick to respond and pretty helpful.

David Hartsock

Auditioning
The Sony receiver allows you to rename the inputs, i.e. you can change the text displayed on the front display for each input. You can plug the cable box into the coaxial input and your dvd player into md/tape. Then set the md/tape input to optical and change the name to DVD or VIDEO.

There should be a button on the front (If I remember correctly) called NAME. Dial up your input, hit NAME and us the panel to change characters. Hit enter. Your done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks