Sony STR-DE695 receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stelios, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone

This is my first post in this wonderful forum of Home Theater. I have the opportunity to get the SONY STR-DE695 receiver at a special price. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in this particular model. The area I want to cover is not big (3.5m x 3.8m).The speakers I intent purchasing are also SONY model SA-VE545H. Any commends would be appreciated.

Stelios

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

The DE recievers from Sony are awful. There power ratings are so false it will knock your socks off, and they break very easily. I used to own one myself and it broke as well... Also, I might lean away from Sony speakers as well... How much money are you looking at spending here? JBL makes some nice affordable speakers, as well as Athena and Klipsch.

Harman/Kardon makes some nice recievers as well as Denon, Onkyo...

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    [​IMG] I'd strongly avoid the lower end Sonys as well, special price or not. What's your budget?

4. Stelios

I have heard the sony receiver with the said speakers and it sounds quite acceptable to me. My budget is 800 Euros. I have a Sony audio amplifier and DV camera and the quality is excellent. I am very skeptical about ChrisLazarko's commend . Sony has a reputation of quality equipment and service.

Stelios

5. ByronM

ByronM Auditioning

I to have trusted sony twice, and found other brands to be alot better. My Onkyo was a ""downgrade"" from what the Sony hyped, but sounds a million times better.

What is your application? (Home theater, VHS/DVD/Regular TV/Music) and what are you looking for in features.

BTW, both of my Sony's had power buttons break (Very lousy design) and they both died from the infamous flashing "PROTECTOR" issue. (Even though they were on a protected circuit plugged into a power conditioner as well)

I woule recommend the comparible Onkyo, Yamaha or Denons.

Keep in mind, your asking a bunch of people with opinions to give you THERE opinion, so you WILL get it [​IMG]

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Stelious I own various other Sony products and like them. It's there recievers I avoid because of how they are built and such. Also customer care has been very nasty to me and charged me a fortune to fix things when I could have gotten something else for the same price brand new that they want to fix, and it's stupid things like a button that broke which made my whole system not work.

Anyways, if your budget is 800 euro's then you shouldn't have a problem at all finding a nice system.

For a reciever look at Denon, Onkyo and Harman/Kardon which are 3 of the best out there for the lower-range I believe and Yamaha is close behind those 3 in my opinion.

For speakers, several companies sell nice sets for a decent price. Take a look at JBL, Athena, Klipsch, and Polk Audio. They all sell satellite systems that are very well built for a very good price.

As for a subwoofer in the mix I would just shop around, see what you can get for a nice price...

Good luck.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. I am also speaking from past experience when I say that the DE line is not the best place to put your money. I also own a few other Sony products, and I have been very happy with them.

In this price range, I'll take Marantz over Onkyo, but I also like Denon and H/K.

Yes, when you ask for opinions, that's exactly what you'll get. Nobody said you'd like what would be said. You are being offered advice from others who have been in your position.

8. Stelios

Hi guys

Thanks for all the info and advice. I just to want to tell you that, eventually, I have ordered the Sony staff. So lets hope that all would be OK. We do have an excellent support here and the dealer also told me that if I am not happy with the system, after 2 weeks in operation, he would take it back for a refund. I will let you guys know, what is my impression when I get it.

Cheers
    Stelios

9. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

Isn't it funny how everyone always talks down sony or any other product and probally never owned or herd one in their lives, they just herd someone else say it was crappy for whatever reason

10. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Nathan,

If I'm not mistaken, a few in this thread already stated they had previously owned Sony DE series receivers and had pretty poor results. My mother has a DE series Sony, and its Amps are pretty weak. However, it is very easy to use and has a nice remote (Sonys usually do). You are right that people can talk down about products they've never heard, but I haven't seen that happen in this thread thus far. Some of those DE series Sonys can run up to $700USD, and there are DEFINITELY better receivers out there for that amount of money. The Sony ES series receivers are excellent however, but they cost more.

Reg

11. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

I do agree that the de line isn't the best but I also know people that would never buy anything else. I didn't nessesarly
    mean just the people who posted just people in general saying "something is crap dont but it". In that case the HK is the biggest peice of garbage i've ever owned from the day i bought it i had it serviced 5 times ranging from the reciever just turning off on its own to center ch and left surround not working at all, but How do you know if i even owned one or not
    or am i just blowing smoke because my reciver is better than HK
    Thats all im getting at.

12. Stelios

How about the DB series of receivers, like the STR-DB790?

Stelios

13. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

They are the lower ES model in North America (STR-DB790 = STR-DA1ES, STR-DB1080 = STR-DA2ES).

There has been at least one person here who has posted that the 2ES sounds almost identical to the 4ES.

14. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I've had the DE835 and absolutely loved it for movies and at the same time hated it for 2 ch music. I've recently upgraded to Harman Kardon stuff. I still miss the clearity and realism of the center channel information but other than that - I wouldn't go back. BTW- I had the DE for 3 years and now the H/K for 3 years.

15. Stelios

Ok guys

After all the reading and checking with my finance minister (wife...) I decided to cancel the DE model for an ES type one (DB790 here in Europe)

Thank you all for the info.

Stelios

16. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

If the DB790 is in fact equivalence of the 1ES, you will enjoy its sound quality. My experience with the ES receivers is that they all sound similar. The higher models simply have more features, more channels, better clarity in the surround channels, and more dynamic punches.

The 1ES weighs over 30 lbs, not bad for a 5 channel receiver.

17. Stelios

Hi Shiu. Yes you are right, the DB790 weighs nearly 30lbs compared to the DE695 that is 11.5lbs! I wonder why?

Stelios

18. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Stelios, glad to hear you've decided on a JB (QS) receiver instead of the "featherweight" DE. I'm sure that you will be much happier than if you had gotten the DE.

Just out of curiousity, however, how much more is the DB1080 than the DB790? If it isn't much more you may want to check out the DB1080 as well. (The DB1080 is the same as the DA2ES I believe and the DB790 is the same as the DA1ES in North America).

Just asking because the DA1ES is pretty basic. The DA2ES has more features. It the DA1ES (DB790) has 5 channel amplification, the DA2ES (DB1080) has 6 (it adds back surround). Also the DA1ES only has one 5.1ch input and 5.1 pre-out; the DA2ES has a 6.1 input and a 5.1 input as well as 6.1ch pre-outs.

If you don't need/want the additional features then the DA1ES should be fine but if you require any of the DA2ES features you may want to give that a look...

19. Stelios

RolandM Hi

Unfortunatly I haven't got the budget to get the DB1080. Don't forget that originally I had budgeted for the DE695 and I am a bit over budget now.One thing though I thought that the D790 is a 6:1 ch. amp.
    http://www.homecinemaheaven.com/prod...s/strdb790.htm
    Doesn't this means that it has 6 ch. amplifiers? One center,2 for L&R 2 for surround and one for sub.

Stelios

20. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

The DB790 looks like the 1000ES in U.S. and Canada, except that the 1000ES has 7.1 Channels. The DB790 definitely is a 6.1 receiver. Apparently the 780 and 1080 have been discontinued already. I guess it was the 780 that was the equivalence of the 1ES.